please don't laugh .. how do you empty the "spit" without a 3rd valve water key

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. EricMGB1974

EricMGB1974 Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    Elmira, NY
    If you're really worried about intonation changes with a water key the Saturn water key was specifically designed to prevent/minimize this.

Wedgwood Brass - saturn

I have one on a custom C cornet I had made and really like it. At the very least, intonation aside, I find it does a better job of emptying the water than the standard lever keys on my other horns.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a Vega with your 3rd slide set-up. I would just get it fixed and use it as intended, unless your horn accumulates a lot of "condensation" there.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You can probably get that unstuck yourself at home with some penetrating oil. Just be careful doing it.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    back in "the day" I would tryed it Patrick, but I have a pretty good music store within 20 minutes of where I live ...this is how it goes
    "Hey Hon, we NEED to go to the music store to get this slide fixed. :) :)
    and they only charge $5 ...
    and I get to play around on the different instruments in the store and check out their music books while I wait...

5. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    Dave,
    +1. Your Machievelian take on going to the music store with the wife's permission is genius! Plus you don't endanger the integrity of the trumpet.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    all for 5 bucks too !

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Understood! :D :lol:

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think you don't have to worry about the effects of a spit key on a Bach. It does not belong to the family of tension optimized instruments and even if it did, you would have to be a tension optimized player to "feel" the "microscopic" difference. Rejoice in the fact that being "normal" has incredible advantages in not burdoning ourselves down with miscellany. The advantages of getting the spit out fast are very great.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I know I can +1 to whatever Robin post and have pretty good odds of being on the winning end of any dispute... even if I don't understand what he said .. I am guessing a tension optimised instrument is a guitar or piano..
    and yes,... the speed factor is huge .. I just don't get why they didn't put a water key on the thing .. baffling

10. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yup,

That is how I empty mine too by pulling just the end of the 3rd valve slide. You could have them put a water key on it, but most of my accumulation is in the tuning slide. I usually have to dump the third just when I oil the valves.