please don't laugh .. how do you empty the "spit" without a 3rd valve water key

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I must admit that it has always been a strange thing that the Strad has to be emptied this way. Imagine a Marching Band scenario, and fidling with taking the bottom section off the 3rd slide. How many times have you guys dropped or had the section slip when doing this?
    I have lost count. I do like the Strads, but find this manouvre a complete mystery.

I have a set of Saturn valves on one of my Bach Strads (37 L Bore), and they work a treat.

You'd think that this design would have been fixed a long time ago....

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It was probably done with the orchestral player in mind ... something to do during 200 bars of rest

3. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Try soaking the slide (inside and out...fill up the tubes) with PB Blaster penetrating oil and let it sit for at least a week. Then loop a piece of cloth through the slide and see if it moves at all. If it doesn't, then I usually take it to my brass tech. The dump slides on all of my Olds horns were stuck solid. This technique worked rather well. I have a 1930 Olds Standard that I'm currently trying to loosen the dump slide. Be patient.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A Yamaha Xeno, Harrelson or Monette are examples of tension optimized instruments. What I meant is that the artisan pays attention to the temper, weight and fit of every single piece to optimize the resonant behaviour.

The reason that no water keys are there on the Bach is because the marketing people think that pros don't want them there - for performance reasons. Another example of the tail wagging the dog.......................

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Easy way to empty your horn that is also a breathing exercise of sorts: with horn warm, take mouthpiece off, blow in the receiver as fast a flow as you can while holding the horn first pointing up then down. You'll see a bunch of water coming out of the bell. Do it with the 3rd valve pressed down, more water, your 3rd slide is emptied. You can do it with the 2nd and 1st valve too, you'll get less water.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That sounds good to the audience during a soft part of a concert, or between pieces...:D

If the dump slide bothers you (and it did me, especially with the lack of bell clearance on the cornet), put a spit valve of some sort on the 3rd slide. Forget to voodoo aspect...your horn will still play fine.

[​IMG]

7. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
  9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @Stuart... I don't read German... but I bet it is cool ... I think
    @Robin ... are trumpet conversions and example if tension optimized instruments... getting rid of bracing .. changing lead pipes .. tuning the horn etc?

10. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    :cool: Hi Stuart,
    Is that the Musicmesse Joy-stick: sounds like a good way to clean up the mess :D