please don't laugh .. how do you empty the "spit" without a 3rd valve water key

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Do the Saturn water keys hold up ... in the pics they look like they are very study

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    They work well. I also have a King Dizzy with the same set up (bought set up with the horn from Harrelson). Really does reduce the risk of an inperfect seal. And way better than the Amano spit valve.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Dave, I get the site in english, I think there is a choice available.

Peter, I like the idea of the sintered bronze that drains by capillary action, not sure about the continuous drip though. I will try one when I get a beater to play with, not modifying any of my present horns:D, see you tomorrow.

Regards, Stuart.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Some of the converters bother. Most do not mess with tempering/annealing the bell, horn, leadpipe, etc.

A lot of the tension just goes away with (a long) time. I am sure that is why certain vintage horns are so much fun to play.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I cleaned the horn and got the 3rd valve u-tube slide free ....now I can try not to dent my bell with the rest of you

7. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    I saw this on a website and it does work.

Turn you horn 90 degrees counter clockwise (valves pointing to the left)
    Press press each valve down one by one and blow
    Then turn the horn upsidedown (valves pointing down) and tilt the bell down. All the water and spit should come out.

I do this on all my horns even though the got 3rd piston spit valve. Releases all the "left over" spit that I can't get rid of from empting out the slides...

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Coolerdave,

Here is what you do -go get a 10 penny nail, a 16 ounce hammer, and and electric drill ...naw carry it to the shop. I've played a Bach since 1976 and never had a water issue with the third valve -rarely ever needed to empty. Guess it varies person to person and horn to horn. (I do have a Kanstul 1502 Callichio clone that drives me crazy with spit collecting in the 3rd valve. It only has one armando water key).

Hey Rowuk -what is a tension optimized horn? Any idea what was the idea behind only one key on the Strad? Also, I know the arguement for Armando keys is less turbulence, etc. You think there is anything to that?

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @ Steve ...lololol... if I didn't get that slide free I might have beat you to it
    .... somewhere in this post Robin explains the tension optimsed intrument deal .... very interesting.
    @ElJman .. the spinning the horn works... and I have been doing it ... thx

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Wow Dave, Bumblebee put the link out for this today and I read it all. I thought you knew that about Bach.........Im disappointed....