Please help me identify my cornet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by eclipse trumpets, Dec 8, 2003.

1. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi TM

I can narrow it down for you at least!

The horn was made in either 1909 or 1910, basically it was being built at around the same time as the TITANIC! but was obviously built stronger.

At this time Besson and Co were not making what we know today as "student" horns, only different models as such.
    And if they were then it only takes a second to look at one of these horns to see that the guy who put this together was not thinking "student "or "lower quality" when he was building it.

I think you have a great piece of history (that will play great), and regardless of the actual value in Dollar terms, the instrument is priceless as it has been passed down through the generations of your family. A dealer can,t price that up!

Regards

Leigh

2. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Yeah

Just write "besson and co serial numbers" in a search and out will pop many sites that have info on serial numbers.
    Or just go to www.musictrader.com/serialnos.html

I had only a quick look at 2 and narrowed it down to these dates, if you look at more it may give you the actual year.

BTW a lot of that was happening at the time, big companies making horns for shops in other countries and the shops or people having their names put on.

The same models as yours by besson were also sold to a shop in Australia and had that guys name on! forget what the name was but its all there in that search info.

Good Luck

Leigh

3. azerba

azerba New Friend

Dec 21, 2003
    Pendleton, Oregon USA
    You know this has taken me back a few years.

Stratford Model - student

Brevette - intermediate - some were better and more like some pro models today

Mehi - Pro