Please help me :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ayayron, Mar 30, 2013.

1. ayayron

ayayron New Friend

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm 18 years old and want to get serious about trumpet, but occasionally run into obstacles that hinder me. For example: for a while, i couldn't hit the G (or concert F) below the staff. The note would be very muffled and would either jump to the D or not play at all. I believed it was because of a cold sore behind my lower lip, so I took a 2 week break from playing until it went away. It's gone now, and today i tried playing, and to my luck was able to play the G below the staff. I don't know exactly what the cause was, whether it be embouchure issues/position or something else, but am willing to start practicing again to make up for the lost time. Should i change my embouchure or just play long tones? Sorry my first post is so long :-P

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    long soft tones do a myriad of help in all ranges. also be sure to practice EVERYTHING ELSE on occasion (lip slurs, tonguing, counting, leaps, rythms, etc) --- put in good quality practice of at least 1.5 hours --------------------YOU WILL SEE IMPROVEMENT (record yourself at weekly intervals, and check yourself in a month, you'll see what I am talking about)

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Side note: I find the signature video clip horribly distracting.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, ayayron! Pedal tones and practice getting the low notes to bark should open things up for you.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't change the embouchure. Just keep on doing what you are doing. The cold sore likely caused swelling that effected the setting of the mouthpiece on your lips. It is time to rebuild endurance. Long tones will be good to warm you up, but then it is time to move to the next level.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Play lead... you'll never see a low G again!

7. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Me too, I find myself watching over and over. What is that anyway?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not if you play for Eddie Brookshire. He loves my use of peddle tones as well as my high range. I realize how powerful the trumpet is as a wind instrument when playing next to reed instruments as to the wide range this instrument opens up to the musician. Sure the piano gives you 88 keys, but the pianist does not have to work nearly as hard on playing through this range.

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I concur with all of the above. With a tip 'o the ole derby to Kingtrumpet re: post #2.
    I always record myself. Practicing and, on occasion performing. It's a great barometer for listening to your progress or failings, primarily the latter:dontknow:
    Especially when I switch horns and mouthpieces. I always carry a little sound- activated digital recorder which I patch into my sound system and listen.......generally stone-cold sober. Based upon what I hear and perceive I then attempt corrections.
    It's really great when I record the whole ensemble I gig with. Especially the solos, as the section work can be lost. Unless I'm blowing my Buescher #9 which cuts above everything and pisses the other "chairs" offROFL

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- but pianists have to use all 10 fingers, plus their feet ------ so they can't count as easily when their playing!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL