Please Help!! Need Advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by starmel0dy, Oct 26, 2006.

1. starmel0dy

starmel0dy New Friend

Oct 25, 2006
    Dear readers,

i am looking to buy a vintage trumpet for my friend but i`m not exactlys ure where to look or if a vintage trumpet is really any good. i think he told someone he wanted to build a trumpet with different vintage parts..to make a good trumpet he can play.. i`m not sure which is better? a new trumpet or a vintage one? what differences will there be between the two. what is the best company for trumpets?? i would really appreciate if someone answer my questions.
    Thank you.

2. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    I am by no means an expert on vintage instruments. There are some excellent resources on the TM site that can help you with that stuff.

If you scroll down on the forum index there is a section for vintage instruments.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have several "vintage" instruments. The only advantage that I see is the "correct" sound for a specific period of music.
    New instruments are generally better in tune, easier to play, match the other instruments that you are likely to find in modern groups that you play with.
    There is no "best" company for instruments. The correct choice is always a balance of the player, the group and the type of music.

4. dwindham

dwindham Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2006
    Depends on what you consider vintage. I'm a comeback player and was using my 80s vintage Bach TR200. I have since been playing on a 1965 Holton Cornet that is in like new condition. It plays circles around my Bach so I guess it depends on the person, and the horn.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Buying a vintage horn if you don't have experience can be a problem. Worn out valves, rotting leadpipes or slides, intonation and the like are all apparent to the seasoned player. Especially on eBay where private auctions have no warranty you need to be very careful, or have someone who can play before you pay!