Please Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Jul 24, 2010.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi, guys. This is not a normal post about range. Most people usually ask about their high range on how to improve, but im asking the complete opposite!

I have always had problems with my lower range (B downward below the staff) and im still puzzled as too why, i can play it ok but just not with the fullness and clarity of the rest of my range! My range down there is very inconsistent (my high range is more consistent!) and its beginning to get me down:-( why cant i play the easy stuff?! please help!
    :thumbsup:

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I am guessing that it is an area that you do not practice that much. I would suggest you go to page 125 in the Arban book and start working. If you number each line I would do number one and then take numbers 11 and 12 and take them down one octave. Work these each day in all 4 ways as outlined on the bottom of the page. I do this daily and find that I keep my low register in very good shape. Before doing this I had the same problem that you outline.

3. reajrdn

reajrdn New Friend

Jul 18, 2010
    Folsom CA
    Pedal tones? Lots of Long Tone practice. If Pedal Tones, change embouchure with much less centering -- I'm told some pedal blowers barely have lower lip in the cup.
    Buzzing? Maybe.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Pedal tones, I have found, really help with your upper register. However, if you are going to do them do not change the embouchure so much that it is nothing like the way you normally play.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Try practicing the Clarke technical studies no.2 softly with out mistakes,slurred,then very lightly singled tongued. Don't play loud,don't use any pressure.I know you're talking about the low register,but you would be surprised, by how many players who use too much pressure for high notes ,also use it in the middle and low register.Give it a week and see if there's any improvement.There are other things to do, but this should help with out making any major changes in your playing.

6. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Pedal tones are are a critical element in improving range and tone.
    Claude Gordons Systematic Approach to Daily Practice makes avid use of them. You might want to pick it up...

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Sometimes we get into the habit of missing notes within a certain range. It takes a lot of "controlled air" to make the low notes sound good. You also need to make sure you're not using excessive mouthpiece pressure too. Most people talk about mouthpiece pressure and the upper register. Well, it just so happens that using the "arm strong method" can effect lower notes too.
    Check out Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment and Circle of Breath.
    If it's mouthpiece pressure then practice lip slurs focusing on the corners of the mouth to change the pitch.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The reasons for bad low register are the same for any other register too. I do not believe that you are more "consistent" up higher. I think you are more "tolerant".

The low register requires lips that are supple, well supported with breathing and free of excessive mouthpiece pressure.

They remain supple by having a solid, intelligent daily routine that is often different for every player. The breathing part is covered in my "circle of breath" that you can do a search on here. Mouthpiece pressure goes down with time if you are intelligently practicing.

To Markies comment "If it's mouthpiece pressure then practice lip slurs focusing on the corners of the mouth to change the pitch." I will add the following: pressure also goes up when you beat your face up by practicing too long, too loud or too high. This beating is responsible for almost all of the embouchure issues found in kids that post here. Local guidance by a decent teacher is the only real solution here.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Try doing articulation exercises - low volume, reduced mouthpiece pressure. Start on G in the staff and descend chromatically. You'll find a point as you descend where the sound starts to fuzz out and your articulations are no longer crisp. Once that happens, re-ascend a half step or two, stop and rest a moment, and then reapproach it from that point, descending chromatically. This isn't a quick fix, but you'll find that over a period of days and weeks that you'll extend your bottom end gradually. I think that articulation and descending from a mid-point chromatically (such as G in the staff) is the way to go with this rather than simply doing slurs or long tones because ultimately you are going to have to articulation in your low register at some point.

If you really want a challenge, do what I suggested with multiple tonguing. If you are using too much pressure or your chops aren't focused enough, the notes won't speak properly - period.

10. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    One approach is to think slow, warm air for the lower register... Like fogging up a window pane with your breath. And to repeat what a few others have been saying, Claude Gordon Systematic Approach :)