Please help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by iwantcoffee, Jun 10, 2015.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    So many great suggestions ... don't pass over the push ups suggestion and even throw in sit ups. Building up your cardio vascular system, (ie running) can work wonders.

2. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Every summer holiday, be it one week or two, I had worried about my embouchure/range/endurance loss
    until I noticed that it is far from detrimental to have a time out and enjoy summer.
    No air mattress mpc drill or buzzing in the camp for me, sir. :-)
    But singing and strumming the good ole guitar at the fire does not hurt...

The benefits of all that are a somewhat healthy mind and strong body (swimming, chipping wood for the campfire, canoeing
    are all great activities), and you are rewired again.
    After trips like that I always took up practice with a refreshed fresh mind and -yes!- attitude.

So if I were you I would not panic at all.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ah, the memories- Zen and the Art of Motocycle Maintenance. Remember reading that as a kid. Still remember he used a lid top from a can for a motorcycle repair and it was perfect which is why I don't mind Jery-rigging over using the standard part when the former works well (jery-rigging is really not an accurate term as sometimes the improvisation works better than what was written- hey a music analogy).

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HOSE TRUMPET to the rescue (cue Super Hero music)!!!!! Go to the Hardware store and buy a 10" section of flexible clear pvc hose, 3/8" Inside Diameter (I.D.). Your mpc will fit and you will have the resistance of more than just the mpc alone. It can fit anywhere and you can't dent it! It will be similar to having a bugle, you can do long tones, arpeggios, etc.!!!

5. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Touche'! Great advice.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    And as I said - carry a spare, and you can signal around your group to your heart's content!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Fist, welcome to TM. I am totally on board with playing on the mouthpiece. You can hike with it, while playing. I like blowing into a hand towel with the mouthpiece as you can change the resistance real easily this way. I found that days away when I only had the mouthpiece and hand towel to play on, that my endurance actually increased. Makes total sense that John Coltrane claims he developed his full wall of sound by practicing with a towel stuck into his horn. So my advice is when going to camp, bring your mouthpiece and throw in the towel.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yeah, but I'd be more worried if the moose would come a runnin.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Ever heard the cry of a lovesick moose? Then you would not worry about a hose trumpet. Alto sax is more like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9m3S6E1W84

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don't know. Sound like half valving to me.