Please Manny, some wise words!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by axel_sjostedt, Oct 17, 2005.

1. axel_sjostedt

axel_sjostedt New Friend

May 4, 2005
    I'm in a very negative and frustrated period now and I have a hard time getting rid of it. Last term I could easily practice 4-5 hours a day if I felt for it but now I'm tired after 2...(their not played in a row).
    My sound in the middle register is great but after some flexibillity exercises my sound is getting more and more spread... When I play some flex-exercises a did a year ago without problems I'm tired.
    It feels great when I put my mouthpiece to my lips but it sounds stiff?? And I try rest much between my practice-times.

What can you say about this Manny??!!

Thanks a lot for every posts
    Take of you all
    //Axel Sjostedt, Sweden

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Axel,

I just saw your post and almost missed it as for some reason it was not highlighted.

I want to ask, does your stomach (mid section) ache after you play for a long while?

ML

3. axel_sjostedt

axel_sjostedt New Friend

May 4, 2005
    No not at all, I feel very relaxed but could it be cause I play with a too big "open" on my mouth...sorry for that english!!! ;-)

Like today, it worked great and then perhaps tomorrow it can feel completely different...this is not a huge problem...I can still play, I mean...I'm gonna play the 1st Concertino by Jolivet tomorrow at recital but I was just curious if you had any ideas??

Thanks Manny, wish you were my father :-P

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Axel,

From the sound of it, you're doing okay if you can relax enough to play the Concertino. My best recommendation is that before you play a single note every day you must turn on your "mental CD player", the one that contains your best sound, you know. Can you turn it on right now and hear very clearly yourself playing whatever you know how to play but very well?

It sounds to me that you need to reacquaint yourself with your sound every morning until it's like turning on a CD. When you go to play keep that sound and connect it to the sound coming out of your trumpet. Please believe me that when a player is a good one, and it sounds loke you are, this works very well and is almost better than coffee to begin getting you excited to play. In fact, if I am correct, I'll bet you are feeling that excitement that is reserved for only us trumpeters right now after imagining your best sound.

Now... go practice, amigo!

And by the way.... anyone would be proud to call you his son.

ML