PLEASE READ - Contest Entry Suggestions

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Horn of Praise, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    The question had been asked, in another thread, if TrumpetMaster/Eclipse Grand Opening Contest entries can be edited/modified.

Yes!!! And as a former winner I would encourage it. Especially when you consider the fact that Leigh MacKinney has stated his intentions of building a $5,000 "dream" horn.

I "tweaked" the White Lightning entry several times. Here is what I did:

1) I printed a "hard" copy so I could refer to it whenever something new "popped" into my head.

2) I let other people (my wife in this case) read it. Did it "say" the same thing to her as it did to me? Was I "crystal clear" in my wording? Second opinions can be helpful and valuable.

3) I took the time to correct spelling and grammatical errors. No...no entries are going to be "evaluated" on these things. But, I wanted the presentation to be as appealing as possible. Something that is easier to read "can" make a better "first impression". I am just as happy with my original entry today as I was back in April. I wouldn't change a thing.

4) I made sure that my entry was unique in relation to all others, so that it would stand out more.

5) I was reasonably sure that Leigh's "current" shop technology could build the horn as described.

Basically, I didn't know what Leigh was looking for, so...I attempted to give him something that he would "enjoy" and "look forward" to making.

I just wanted to re-invigorate your creative juices, folks. We have quite a bit of time left. Put it to good use. Good luck! :D

All the best.

2. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Thanks much for the bit of advice.

I took one look at what I wrote and was horrified at the layout and explanations of some items.

Say, is Leigh going to take points off for spelling? You know words like color instead of colour? :D

Liad Bar-EL

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I say "Potaytoe", you say "Potaaato".

4. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Ok Toots!

Gotta tel ya , u aint gonna wyn nuffin wit spellin liker dat!

Regards

Lee

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Wye knot?

6. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Hey Toots,

There's a nice suggestion for the contest-----the pretzel, otherwise known as the "Wye Knotts".

7. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Where are all of the entries? This is a competition... for a $5,000.00 trumpet!

Surely you have been on a gig, practicing, or in a rehearsal, when you've thought about changing something on your trumpet... cuz lawd knows... it's NEVER the player! If you have a sound in your head that you'd like to hear, put it into an idea for a trumpet design. What would the trumpet look like that could produce such a sound?

If you've seen pictures of the Vortex, and the Banshee, you KNOW that Leigh is up to the challenge. If you've seen pictures of the Equinox, you know that he's also a smart man! :D

Best of luck!

Bruce

8. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Bruce, my friend, I have to agree...

I thought that there would be more people out there in "TrumpetLand" who would love to have a custom, one-of-a-kind, FREE horn. :shock:

Maybe everybody else is scared off because the current entries are so good???!!!??? :wink:

I mean, really, it isn't that hard to come up with an idea. Even though I can't enter again, Dawn and I came up with an idea anyway. The ultimate Jazz Horn...something that Miles Davis would play. 8) I wish I could describe it...but I can't. I have to play fair. After the contest is over and a winner is chosen, I'll share it with you...just for kicks.

All the best.

9. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Hey Paul,

Ypu can enter your idea under my name - I'll share. :D

10. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    I'd suggest that people are sitting back, tweaking their entry and don't want to 'take the cover' off it until just before deadline.

At least, that's what I'm doing :wink: