*** PLEASE READ - Final Contest Announcement ***

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Horn of Praise, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi folks,

The quality of the entries thus far is very impressive. The final decision will not be easy. Many entries have closely followed the quidelines that Leigh MacKinney set forth, but others haven't.

With only two weeks to go in the contest, the decision has been made to clarify what constitutes an official and eligible entry.

The original four (4) requirements have been "pasted" below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Tell us how you would improve a trumpet with a new feature or design.

2. Give us a theme for a trumpet!
    For example "THE SPIDERMAN" maybe we would then cut out braces in the shape of cobwebs? and spray the horn red and black?

For these first 2 objectives please remember that we DO NOT yet have access to technology that you may have seen on Star Trek (The next Generation),Stargate or any of your favourite sci-fi shows.

Therefore please try to ensure that your ideas/suggestions do not force me to contact NASA for help.

3. (back to school time!) Write a short story using each of the following at least once.

A. A TYPE OF MUSICAL INSTRUMENT
    B. A COUNTRY OR CITY
    C. A FORM OF TRANSPORT
    D. AN ITEM OF CLOTHING
    E. A FOOD

4. And last but not least!

Apart from your brilliant answers to the above, please tell us just why you feel that you should win this contest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though a particular entry may be excellent, it will not be considered VALID unless it meets ALL of the aforementioned four (4) requirements. Making this announcement with two weeks to go gives everyone "fair and ample warning" to make the necessary edits/adjustments to their respective entries.

This "heads up" is being made so that everyone, regardless of who wins, believes that the contest was fair to all.

Good luck everybody!!! All the best.

2. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Thanks Paul!

Yes a few do need to address this issue! just make sure that you have met all the criteria or i will have no choice but to scrap that entry and i would hate to do that.

As paul has said , it makes everything fair for all concerned.

Best Wishes to all and good luck, it will not be long now

Leigh

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Just a quick question to make sure that I'm on the same page.

We can edit our entries up until the final hour, to include pasting in the short story of what would otherwise be an invalid entry, right?

The reason that I ask is because I've got a pretty decent story, but my writing skills leave some to be desired and I'm still editing the draft.

If you could clarify that, I would really appreciate it because if I need to have my final edited entry done before that, I need to really get it in gear. (I'm working to try to "finish" it tonight.)

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I have a couple of questions:

1. After reading the Theme section above it seems to imply that we should pick a theme (i.e. spider man) and then you state "maybe we would then cut out braces in the shape of cobwebs? and spray the horn red and black?" - I am really not sure if you want specifcs of detail or if you just want a theme name/idea and leave the rest up to you.

2. Will you be contacting those that are not compliant and let us know if we are not (note: I am currently working on finishing mine up)? The reason I ask this question is because I have one questionable part in my own submission for the food in the story - I did not use a human "food" and do not know if this disqualifes my entry. Please let me know.

Thanks so much!

-marc

5. Horn of Praise

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi trickg (Patrick),

Yes, you can edit your entry right up until the deadline. If your entry now lacks one of the four requirements, please feel free to add it. If you want to modify/enhance something, go ahead. As long as you're not "stealing" someone elses idea, you're fine.

We would like everyone to "double check" their entry to make sure that they are valid and in "compliance"...so no one is left behind. No regrets, so to speak.

Good luck!

6. Horn of Praise

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi DrunkIQ (Marc),

1) I won't be contacting people who are not compliant, because I don't want it to appear that I'm giving someone "special" help or assistance.

There was one person who forgot to put their theme name in their original entry. Because they were a little "new" to posting, they mentioned their theme name in a second follow-up post in the "Contest Thread". I sent them a private message explaining how to fix the problem. This way, each person only has one post in the contest thread.

But, I will answer any and all questions put to me to the best of my ability. If I can't answer something I will speak to Leigh and get back to that person.

2) While a "name" alone would probably qualify as a theme, describing the visual elements of your design (e.g. SpiderMan with cobwebs, etc.) would enhance you entry and help Leigh visualize what your theme name is trying to achieve.

3) Food should probably be human food, but...if your story is about animals then animal food would make more sense. :wink:

Good luck!

7. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Gee Paul now you've got me wondering about technicalities on weather or not I meet the requirements. A short story is to be written and maybe my story is a long one. Maybe it is considered to be two stories and not one; so, I don’t qualify.

Is there anything of question in my entry that I should take care of?

Liad Bar-EL

8. Horn of Praise

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi Liad,

Well...let's put it this way...if your entry takes up an entire page in the contest thread then your short story "probably" isn't short enough. Leigh shouldn't have to drink Espresso to stay awake and read these "puppies". :wink:

You're a sharp guy. Good luck!

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    LOL!!! I can just picture it now....everybody rushing back to "edit" their stories down to novella size! Who woulda thunk?

10. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi Guys

Dont worry too much!

What Paul is saying is that we want to make sure everyone has included all that has been asked, so as to avoid any dissapointment.

Leave your stories (unless you already have, dont shorten), as long as they have the correct items included, ive read them all so far anyhow.
    The other judges have also!

To clear up the theme thing!

It is not set in rock, just give me an idea of what way you are going with the cosmetics and maybe a name and then i will use that when building the winning horn to what extent i can whilst keeping a great sound.
    Some people like to go in depth on this ,others do not! Either is fine

If you are unsure about anything else then please feel free to mail me or ash Paul

regards

Leigh