Please read - jeanne pocius

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by blutch, Feb 19, 2010.

1. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Dear TM'ers,

I posted the message below this morning on TPIN and TH. Our friend and colleague Jeanne Pocius needs us. Please consider giving to this important cause. Please read everything below and show some compassion and give to the fun. Thank you.

=========================

Dear TPINers, TH'ers, TM'ers,

It is time for this great community of people to come together again and help one of our own in need. We have done this a couple of times before, but never has it been so important as it is now.

Our friend and colleague Jeanne Pocius, who is in Haiti and who was injured in the earthquake, is still in Haiti and working feverishly to help the students of the school she has put so much of her heart and soul into.

This work is no longer just about bringing them music.. No.. It is much more now. You see, Jeanne is totally out of money and is HUNGRY. So are her students. They need FOOD and basic supplies. When was the last time any of us went without food? How many times has that happened to you in your lifetime?

Frankly, I am as worried about her now as I was when we didn't even know if she had survived the quake. She won't come home where people can care for her, so we need to step up and do it for her there.

I know many of you have already donated to Haiti fund drives. This is different. The money we raise will go straight into Jeanne's pocket and you know she will spend it wisely and most of it will go to the students in her care.

There are currently 1606 TPIN members. If everyone sent in $10 the impact on Jeanne and the students in her care would be ENORMOUS. Please give. Show as much compassion as you can. If you can afford $100 give it because we know not all 1600 members will give. Buy one less mouthpiece or CD this month and give it to Jeanne.

As we have done before, I'm going to collect the money through my Paypal account, then wire it all at once to her. We have to act fast! This will be a 5 day fund drive. It will be over next Tuesday. Anyone with a credit or debit card can give through Paypal. Please do not email me about sending a check. It is perfectly safe for you to use your CC through Paypal. Please do not send suggestions on how this could be done better or differently. This is the way it is going to go, so lets not lose sight of the specific goal.

Go to: http://www.paypal.com and select "Send Money" When asked for the account to send to use this address: [email protected] (please type that carefully or copy/paste it.)

Please give as much as you can as soon as you can. This money will make a huge difference in her mission. She needs us now.

Thank you.

Michael Anderson - TPIN ADMIN

2. ed haley

ed haley New Friend

Mar 1, 2008
    Chicago
    I just sent a few $$$. I hope a lot of us can get on board with this help. She is really carrying a lot of water for all of us.

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    i just sent a few $$$ as well -- thank you Mike for organizing this and getting the money to her!

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I am happy to help Jeanne and her students but I am not a TPIN member so I am not familiar with Michael Anderson. Can any one here vouch for him and explain why the funds are going to him personally rather than to TPIN (I assume this is an organization of some sort). I am not trying to be resistive - just cautious. I will help if I have confidence this is the correct method.

5. barb

barb New Friend

Feb 3, 2010
    outside of Boston
    As I mentioned in a message to Kris, this is legit...TPIN is the Trumpet Players International Network, an email list that is adminned by Michael Anderson (who is also ITG techno editor, I believe) Jeanne had emailed a trumpeter friend on the list about her plight, and he forwarded it to some of the others on the list, including Michael, who decided to ask the list, and then the trumpet community at large, to help Jeanne.

There is an article here, Episcopal Life Online - NEWS, talking about after the quake, and what Jeanne and others are doing there now.

Thanks for being cautious...!! The money will be wired via Western Union, which some of us have used already, and we know she is able to receive it that way. Michael is also planning on setting some aside to help her when she is ready to come back to this country....

People have been extraordinarily generous. It is very heartening...makes one proud to be a trumpet player!!

Barb

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Barb, Thanks for the confirmation. My donation is on its way.

7. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    All,

The response to this fund drive has been incredible in the first 36 hours. SO many have donated and the first installment of money is already on its way to Jeanne. I have decided to not reveal the total until it is all completed, but I will say it is going VERY well in my eyes.

MAJOR thank you to the TH, TM, TPIN, Trumpet Town and Facebook communities for stepping up to help Jeanne in her Mission.

Trumpet players have an incredible community!!

There is still time to give to this cause. We will accept donations until Tuesday. Plus, my accountant tells me that it is tax deductible for your 2009 taxes or 2010 for that matter. I will be sending a letter out to all that donate that they can use for their donation.

Thank you all.

Michael

8. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    CBK,

I don't blame you for caution at all. Thanks to Barb for vouching for me. :-) TPIN was the first online discussion group dedicated to trumpet back in the days before there was a World Wide Web even. I started it in 1993. I am on the ITG Board of Directors and have been the Director of the ITG Web Site since its inception in 1996.

TPIN is not a business and I do not have any accounts set up for it. I decided to try to do something very quickly and avoid as much red tape and beurocracy as possible, so I just used the only papal acct. I had setup.

I have a trumpet-playing accountant helping me with all this and he is in direct connection to Jeanne and is handling making sure it get to her.

Frankly, I'm surprised more people aren't questioning who and how on this one. I haven't had time to count all the donations, but it has to be a couple of hundred by now.

Thank you all again.

MA

9. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    All,

Collectively we raised around $9,500.00 for Jeanne Pocius and her music students in Haiti. I'm just amazed at how wonderful the online trumpet community is. I want to thank TPIN, TH, TM and Trumpet Town on Facebook for coming together to support this project. A good chunk of the money is already on its way to Jeanne and her kids.

We have held some back for Jeanne's travel expenses home. She is coming back on April 16th and will be doing some traveling to raise more mney for her cause. This will be an ongoing thing, so please look for it.

The Paypal will be open a little longer if you still want to give, but I will not be posting any more pleas or updates. You can also send a check to the charity she is affiliated with:

Instrumental Change, Inc.
    301 Newbury St Suite 142
    Danvers, MA 01923

Thank you to all who have given and for the power of the online trumpet community!

MA

10. trptchopdoc

trptchopdoc Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2005
    Port-au-Prince, Haiti
    My dear, dear brothers and sisters of the trumpet:

I don't know how I can ever thank you for the outpouring of love and support which my students and I have received from all of you!

You have truly blessed us with your kindness and your concern.

It is easy to say "I love you" --much more difficult to demonstrate that love.

You have done both, and you have "given back the gift" by helping others in need.

I pray that you will be richly blessed with health, happiness, success and satisfaction in your work, your family and your trumpet playing.

Please know that I hold each and every one of you in my thoughts, my prayers and especially in my heart of hearts!

Much love, many BIG HUGS, and blessings,
    Jeanne