Please read - jeanne pocius

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by blutch, Feb 19, 2010.

1. trptchopdoc

trptchopdoc Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2005
    Port-au-Prince, Haiti
    My Beloved Friends:

In three weeks' time I will be returning to Haiti for my eighth trip.

I am currently travelling around, speaking/performing/teaching/fund- and aware-ness raising about Haiti.

This week I will be in Phoenix and possibly LA(May 3-11), the following week I will return to greater Boston.

Although the news networks are no longer following the situation in Haiti, I assure you the needs continue to be great. While I was in Haiti I was able to feed and protect many of our students and colleagues thanks in no small part to the support of our trumpet community at large.

Sadly, many of the instruments which I had previously brought to Haiti were destroyed or seriously damaged in the quakes (first one 7.3 magnitude on 12 January, second one 6.2 magnitude on 20 January) and aftershocks.

So I come to you again.

Please, look through your collections ( I know many of you have collected trumpets as a hobby, and probably have several unplayed instruments hanging on your studio or basement walls), and ask your colleagues and section and ensemble mates to do so as well.

We need everything, from trumpets down the food chain to strings and reeds.

And now Instrumental Change, Inc is 501(c)(3) approved (though that stems all the way back to the original application in September of 09), so we can provide you with a letter for your taxes as well as my eternal gratitude and blessings!

I beg you: ask your friends, families, neighbors and colleagues; search through basements, flea markets, pawn shops, etc; talk to your local music stores and those who sold you and/or made your instruments for you about donations of instruments, accessories, lesson and etude and solo and ensemble literature. Speak with musical performance organizations about surplus music.

Your trumpet brothers and sisters (and cousins on other instruments) have no way to join the heavenly chorus of the sounding trumpets in this world.

Please!

Won't you help spread the word? (Consider doing a fundraiser musical program at your house of worship: or let me know if your home church or temple would be interested in having me come to do a slide/lecture about Haiti for them --and we can do a trumpet master class for you and your trumpet colleagues while I'm there (all proceeds go to Haiti: I do not draw a salary from ICI, only cover my travel expenses through ICI), and/or private lessons)

Instruments and other donations can be sent to the ICI address listed below:

Instrumental Change, Inc
    301 Newbury St S-142
    Danvers, MA 01923

For anyone in the greater Boston/New Hampshire/Rhode Island/Maine area, we will be having a large-scale fundraiser in Danvers, MA, on Saturday, May 15th, beginning at 7 pm.
    The location is 10 North Street, Danvers, MA 01923 (if you'd like to google it). There is no entrance fee, but we will be accepting donations (cash, instruments and other supplies).
    There will be food, drink, live music and dancing...Please consider coming (and bring your horn if you'd like to play!)

I send you all my love, thanks, and blessings,
    Jeanne

2. DDLips

DDLips New Friend

May 29, 2007
    Thank you for all the great work you do with those kids in Haiti. Today I am sending 2 cornets and a trumpet which I hope can be utilized in your programs. Also in the package are some mouthpieces. It isn't much but I hope they can make a difference where it must be a very hard road for the kids you work with. I hope more of the great folks here on TM can help out also. Music is so important.

Blessings to you in the work over there, Jeanne

Sincerely, Karen

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Jeanne:

I'm leaving now to take another trumpet to the post office for shipping.
    I hope to work on more donors this summer.

God Bless You,

Greg

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    FYI:

Its cheap to send old horns through the post office if you request parcel post.
    From Minnesota to Danvers was $14.76.

So, come on folks, get out there and find some old horns!

5. trptchopdoc

trptchopdoc Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2005
    Port-au-Prince, Haiti
    Thanks, Barb, Greg and Karen! This just proves once again, that trumpet players are some of the very best people on earth! God bless you all! <BIG HUGS!> Jeanne