Please recommend trumpet CDs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HenryK, Feb 16, 2010.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    How about:

Herb Alpert -Whipped Cream and Other Delights, and others from that era.

2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I would suggest trying your public library. Our public Library has a decent variety of music and you can get a taste for free to see what you like.

You state you don't like classical or Jazz, but you may find some you do like. There are some Jazz artists who stray too far from a melody for many people and if you try different artists, you may find that you like that person's style of Jazz.

I like just about everything that Aurturo Sandoval plays
    Wynton Marsalis has great classical and jazz albumns. Portrain of Wynton Marsalis is a great classical albumn.
    Portrait of Wynton Marsalis - Wynton Marsalis official web site
    there are some sound clips Wynton's site where you could check out what he's playing.

Many other artist's web sites have sample sound clips as well. Check them out and see what you like.

3. HenryK

HenryK New Friend

Jan 16, 2010
    Olympia, WA
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I appreciate it.

I do not dislike classical or jazz, but I guess it is not growing on me very fast either. But I do keep listening to see if that changes. But I do like popular (or whatever the right term is) which I was finding difficult to locate in CD at the library and Amazon.

-Henry

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    dhbailey sez:
    if it's bad you can learn,
    ------
    Unfortunatey when it comes to the human brain, garbage in = garbage out.
    You never want to purposely expose yourself to bad music. That's just wrong on several levels. Poorly executed music should be avoided because you are right, you'll learn from it.

5. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Amen to that. This has frustrated me ever since I joined this forum.

6. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I agree with you somewhat, but I guess the danger is that if a young student or beginner gets off on the wrong foot, bad habits are hard to break. Beginners and people coming back really need a competent teacher to guide them in the right direction.

I understand that it is frustrating, but for many posts there is no clear answer or advice. There are definitely other times where people do just want some suggestions and opinions and by all means if some asks who your favorite Jazz artist is, tell them.

I the case of this post, so much of the recorded trumpet music out there is Jazz or Classical.

There just aren't a lot of people out there recording instrumental versions of popular melodies and selling them.

Most popular music, doesn't feature the trumpet though many rock, funk, reggae, country groups have killer horn sections.

7. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    wynston maralis is my favorite that is still living