Please take your problems to the supplier first

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Mar 9, 2011.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I don't think this is a black and white issue.

On the one hand, yes, if you have a problem with equipment it makes sense to contact the vendor and have it resolved that way, especially for new equipment with a warranty.

On the other hand, if you are buying directly from the manufacturer as opposed to a walk-in music store, it can be helpful to other members to learn how your experience went before they spend money over the 'net.

I guess each instance is different and people should think about how their posts will
    be received before hitting the button.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    :thumbsup: +100

3. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    +1

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely!

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Perhaps it would be beneficial for those who frequent this forum to read the original question (Valve Alignment) that I believe was the genesis for this particular thread.

You may notice that there were no names mentioned, no manufacturers, only a question about the importance of valve alignment and if it was really a big deal or not.

Reference to brand names was only made later upon the request of someone who chose to reply.

Somehow the whole subject has been bastardized to some degree or another.

But, this is a public forum and everyone has an opinion.

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    There's a lot of truth in this, and I would just add that it seems to me that in the second case, it serves us better here to learn how the experience went AFTER the manufacturer was approached for a resolution to the matter. All manufacturers make mistakes - what we should be primarily interested in is how they handle the customer when one occurs.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpet Dreamer,
    I don't think as much of what has been said here was pointed at you as you may think.

Fact is, valve alignment is an issue for the rubber and felt washers and not the metal hardware parts(unless they are so out of spec that only maschining can fix the issue). A student horn is built to looser specs than a pro horn and in my opinion, the issue here is not valve alignment, it is the whether expectations of the customer are "reasonable" or not.

In your specific case, I think that "Pimp my Ride" is purely cosmetic and if performance were really the issue, the base horn would have been at least a Yamaha 6xxx instead of the bottom of the line 2xxx. If you are concerned about VA, get the rubbers/felts cut down and be done with it. That is the way things are done. Trumpetsplus made a very great general point. Your "expectations" simply are not in line with reality. If performance is what you want, then you don't buy new hubcaps. You deal with the motor, suspension, tires and optimally with the driver. If Gucci is what you want, then you also need to pay for it. Trim kits are not valve alignment kits, never were, never will be. Every time I read those posts about your horn, I think how much better it could be if the total investment were horn and not cosmetic.

My not so humble opinion.

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Your opinion is valid...to a point. The 2335 is simply an experiment. And it is a very good horn. I have other pro model horns in my small collection, and have more arriving soon. I have no expectations one way or another.

As previously stated, the goal here is to augment my knowledge. And thanks to your personal input on this issue, I have learned that the VA is not hyper-critical. That is all I wanted to know, and I thank you for providing direction on this issue.

10. brian.hess

brian.hess New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Port Orchard, Washington
    outstanding response to a response. . . . . . .plus another post for the count. . . . lol :shock: