Please take your problems to the supplier first

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Mar 9, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Since you're a newbie , that's what we do when we agree with a posting rather than blather on and say the same thing over and over PLUS it boosts my post count thus PROVING beyond a shadow of anyone's doubt that I KNOW what I'm talking about. We all know post count is directly correlated to knowledge and ability so that is why we do it so newbs can figure out who to regard/disregard. Hope this helps! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    With reference to the OP, the source was contacted by phone and email immediately after the shipment was received to air a few questions and to thank them for the wonderful finish on the kit.

To date, no response.

This is why this forum is an invaluable aid to many of us. Response here is often times immediate and highly accurate!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: (;-);-))!

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Immediate, OK. Highly accurate? I'm dubious.

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Note the defining term of "often times" was used to modify the message, rather than "always".

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You know, a trim kit is just additional income for many manufacturers. They are not really interested in discussing the unbalanced horns that customers create with them. Here at TM you get responses because of the varied viewpoints on what has been accomplished. ;-)

Consider an artisan that makes a living out of designing trumpets, who has devoted his life to making sure that everything lines up and that synergy takes those instruments to (among) the top of the pack. Now comes an inexperienced customer with a relatively inexpensive, lightweight student horn, Pimps his Ride and then starts to criticize/comment things with no real knowledge. I probably would just let them babble too. Any discussion started would offer no useful insight to me or them at this stage, but would keep me from building the horns that keep me alive. :thumbdown:

There are those that say the customer is king. I think that needs to be qualified. If I am an artisan with a couple of horns a month, the clients that share my dream are my future. The ones that I need to educate first need to buy cheaper instruments first and figure out which end is up. Small companies just don't have the personnel to "save the world". :dontknow:

The basic truth is that there is a big difference between optics and sonic performance. The artisan is interested in performance and only helps to finance the effort with accessories. If they were really in the mod business, then a lot more would have to be available than valve caps. To make a Yamaha 2xxx really sing, a new leadpipe, bell, braces and tuning slide would be necessary - it would hardly be worth it as a Yamaha 6xxx is pretty cheap and VERY good without pimping. :play:

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    rowuk,

I thank you for your input. And thanks for pointing out that VA was not that big of a deal!

The people at Harrelson advised me that this sort of thing was a very low priority to them, hence the 3 month wait.

And as already stated, the 2335 is a total experiment...much like when I put low profile radials on my 914 (to use a car analogy).

My Getzen (and my Carol) sounds richer, has a bit nicer blow, and has far more feedback. The 2335 is far nicer than most as I have done a lot of work on it. Would I buy it again? No! But it was my first purchase out of the chute and I knew nothing about trumpets.

And the total journey thus far has been a fun one. In the end, isn't that what it's all about?

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The mid engine 914 does benefit from low profile radials!

I put a Golf GTI engine in a 914 many years ago. Used the mounting hardware, transmission and exhaust from a VW bus. Should not have sold it. It was probably the only 914 ever to have a good working heater in the winter. The heat exchangers from the aircooled engine really were a big comprimise.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    +1000:thumbsup:

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Wow...that's pretty cool! The 914 2.0 that I had was the best handling automobile that I have ever driven. I'll bet that Golf engine made a real screamer out of that car!