Pocket or Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I was considering buying a pocket trumpet to allow practicing while on trips (I travel for a living). After reading the Dallas Music article, I may buy a cornet instead. The article states a cornet is much better than a pocket, and good for travel as it is not much larger than a pocket. And a decent used cornet can be had for not much $$$.
    Any thoughts?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I've got an F.E. Olds cornet from the 50's that I picked up at a local antigue store for 40 bucks. It fits in an old 8 track cassette box (I think 9" by 18" by 5") which is way smaller than the trumpet. It does play reasonably close to the trumpet, a little shorter, and holds a little closer -- but it should keep the chops in shape.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If travel is your primary reason for gettting one, then stick with the pocket trumpet. I have one and it easily fits in a corner of my carry-on where a cornet would not. I also made a renuzit mute that can be crammed anywhere.

I have a cheap pocket trumpet that fills the need of keeping me in shape when I can't use my regular horn (and I also play it in my car at lunch). I'd never use it to perform on, but it's fine for practice. If you want something that plays nice, contrary to what the article states, you can still get a good one for less that $1000. The Pocket Max is a good example. The Pocket Max Trumpet Very good sound and priced around $650.

I don't play the cornet, and currently have no interest in them, so it wouldn't be an option for me. Also, most of the cornets I've ever seen are bigger than my pocket trumpet, so it would have to be packed separately when traveling.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    The OP should consider a pocket trumpet like the Pocket Max Trumpet gbdeamer suggested as it has good quality and a reasonable price. There may be others in that price range and are very good for practicing. If you buy a cheap pocket trumpet, the tone will be off and workmanship suffers. The expensive pocket trumpets are wonderful, but if you want one to practice with on the road and aren't planning to compete with expensive and high quality instruments in a band or ensemble situation, the cheaper ones will work, but don't buy one that is too cheap or you probably won't like it. I have a cheap one and I barely play it as the tone suffers.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    So long as you don't perform with it. I saw someone play the pocket trumpet. I talked him during a break. He said he thought it was a pretty good novelty kind of like a flugel or cornet. Lame!

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Start with a cornet. As you mentioned, there are many available for not a lot of money. If it works for your travel needs, you are ahead of the game. If it is too big, you are not out a lot and you still have a cornet to enhance your brass experience. You may really like a cornet for some playing. And, you can buy a pocket trumpet, too.

7. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    For size reference, a pocket trumpet is about half the length of a typical cornet and about a third the length of a standard Bb trumpet.

[​IMG]

(Olds Ambassador cornet, Jupiter pocket, Olds Super trumpet)

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Thanks for posting these photos, Steve! This puts everything into perspective quite nicely. A professional player friend of mine does not like pockets. He stated..."The tone is always somewhat stuffy, they are not as free blowing due to the sharp / abrupt curves, and they are nothing more than a novelty."
    I have never played one myself. Just lookin' for something to tote along on those dreaded airplane trips!

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Here's a thought. A standard trumpet will probably fit your suitcase, depending on what you use. I would be looking for a way to fit one in and having it properly padded, perhaps in a gig bag, or maybe just carry one on in an Eastman hard case or similar.

Another thought is making your own combo case using a Pelican flight case to start with.

Tom

10. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Here's another thought. I think of my Jupiter pocket trumpet as a different animal. It sounds awful with my B6 mouthpiece but wonderful (well, much better!) with my B4 Flumpet mouthpiece, so I think of it as a really compact fluegal/cornet hybrid.