Pocket or Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Nov 6, 2010.

1. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Pockets range anywhere from abominable to very good. I've been lucky in avoiding the really terrible ones; even a couple of 1970's horns are fairly good players. In recent years, I moved up to a Dillon pocket trumpet and thought I was very satisfied - and it's still a great horn, especially for the price. But when I added a large-bell Carol to the collection, it became clear that an excellent pocket trumpet can play right up there with at least intermediate-level trumpets, if not better. It plays nicely in tune throughout the range, has a full tone, very responsive; a little tight on the hands when trying to work 1st and 3rd slides, but manageable. When I practice with it, none of the people in the house can tell that I'm not playing one of my better horns. For my purposes, I can't justify a Benge or Kanstul pocket trumpet, but would bet that they're even better.

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    My friend claims that pockets simply do not "blow" like standard trumpets due to the restrictive nature of the design...multiple tight bends in the tubing.
    I saw and heard the video of the Carol model and was impressed.

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Your friend might be correct in general, but several of the newer (and probably the best of the vintage ones) pocket trumpets seem to have changed things. The "blow" on that Carol is excellent, as is the sound. It's a lot more than a novelty.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I'd get a GOOD pocket or a student cornet like my Yamaha, made to play 'n' march! I think basically the idea is, you want something compact and not as high-dollar as your main horn, to take on vacation, traveling etc. My understanding is that student horns tend to be made with marching band in mind, a bit more durable, and a cornet is 5" inches shorter than a trumpet (by my measurement) it makes a difference.

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just ordered a Carol Brass Pocket. Should be just the ticket for those airline trips!
    Thanks to everyone for your input!

6. piccolomaster

piccolomaster Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2008
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just ordered a Carol Brass Pocket (Satin Finish Bell). I am looking forward to it next week.

Piccolomaster.

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I'm so impressed with my Carol Pocket that I'm looking into trading my Brand "J" Flugel for a Carol Brass Flugelhorn.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use a pocket when I am travelling. If you play before you pay, you can find one that is not stuffy. Generally the stuffiness has nothing to do with the curves, the amount of bracing, especially near the end of the bell does. Stuffiness is most often not a physical trait of the horn (measurable air resistance), rather the fact that we cannot hear ourselves as well with certain designs. That relates more to bell material and bracing. Changing the bell brace on a "stuffy" horn can fix that issue very often. This is also the reason that reversed leadpipe horns are generally perceived as being more "free blowing". The bell brace is MUCH further back.

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    There is no stuffiness with my Carol at all. In fact, due to the closeness of the bell to my ear, the sound is HUGE! The sound to my ear is even bigger than with my standard trumpet. The one most noticeable thing is that from second space G down to low F#, the pocket is a little easier to play. But from top of the staff G through high C and above, the pocket takes just a little more effort than my other horns.

Every time I pick up the horn I'm amazed at the great big sound coming out of such a small horn!

And the build quality on this pocket is as good (or better) than any thing I've seen!

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I just took my Cornet on an airplane. Fits in my carry on luggage fairly well, I just put socks in the bracing, and stand in the bell. Admittedly it is a cheap cornet so I wasn't too worried. No one said anything going through security, though I think they should have made me take it out and play it.

Only problem I had was the valve oil container top busted open and leaked in my luggage, maybe due to pressure changes and being kicked around.

One word Aerophone.