Pocket trumpet for 6 year old?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bleedinglipsgary, Sep 28, 2009.

1. bleedinglipsgary

bleedinglipsgary New Friend

Sep 21, 2009
    Seattle
    My 6 year old is very interested in the trumpet. The first time he put it to his lips he was able to play some notes and I'd like to encourage him.

That said, I'm scared he'll use my shiny new horn as a light-saber if I let him hold it on his own, plus it's still kinda big for him.

So considering used cornets, or maybe even a cheap pocket trumpet, as easier to hold.

I've never tried a pocket trumpet; putting aside quality of the sound, would ability to generate notes on a regular trumpet translate to approximately the same result on a pocket trumpet? Or do they take more lung-power?

Just want something he can toot on for a few months until it's clear if he's actually interested in taking lessons, and won't make me cry if he bangs it up a bit in the meantime.

2. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    For the money go a cheap cornet over a cheap pocket.
    You can pick up an old Getzen, Olds, Bach, Conn for the same money as a Chinese/Indian Pocket.
    Balance wise will not be too different.

3. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I think it's kind of like trying to teach a young baseball player to hit with a toy bat. It won't really prepare him for a full size trumpet, nor will it be easier for him to play than a full sized trumpet. Why complicate things? Get him a reasonable quality discount student horn.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I had a student who was six when he started with me. He had a Yamaha student cornet and did quite well. I would get him a cornet.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Ditto on the cornet. I started on a cornet. I just recently started 4 of my grandchildren on a cornet and they are doing well (the youngest is 6). A cornet is a real instrument - not a throw-away. I still have my 1953 Olds Ambassador cornet and it plays as well as it did when it was new.

Good luck with your new player. Maybe he will turn out like this.
    YouTube - Geoffrey Gallante

6. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Go for the cornet. I have both and the small bell on the pocket makes it something of a challenge to get a good tone.
    I bought a Weril Regium II cornet in a stock clearance about a year ago and I'm very impressed. Very solid construction, plays in tune, very easy blow and the silver plate hasn't fallen off. Valves took a long time to bed in likewise the 1st and 3rd tuning slides but for what I paid (around $400US) it was a steal.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My Weril Pocket Trumpet had a similar problem with the valves, but they have settled in nicely, and I like the tone too. I too purchased mine as clearance stock. :roll:

8. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    How about a piccolotrumpet in C?
    They ARE the smallest, aren´t they?:roll:

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    And the most expensive :shock: the cornet suggestion is the way to go. Though pocket trumpet may seem small, small hands may have trouble handling it. Beginner cornet usually have more compact valve clusters to facilitate kids. If he can handle it give him a recorder...when he start managing the cornet burn the recorder :evil:

10. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I agree with rbdeli, get him a decent used student horn. It's better to start on the actual thing and not beat around the bush. It'll only make it harder for him in the long run.
    And if he doesn't take it up, then atleast you have a new trumpet to put in your trunk so you can practice at work. :-P