pocket ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dean_0, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    So iv'e been seeing these on you-know-where;
    Conn Selmer Prelude Red Pocket Trumpet with Case PT711R | eBay

My question is are these acceptable or should i look some place else,in other words are they any where near the 60's conn's?,valve ,build quality , etc.

maybe you've guessed i have a want for a pocket :shhh:

Dean_0

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have a couple of Jups, and think they are OK. I have no experience with the Conn Selmer Prelude Range, but would expect them to be similar.

These pockets are fun, big surprising sound, and compact for travellers, or where luggage is tight. They are not a replacement for the full size horn, but mine has lasted many years with just normal maintenance. They do fit normal mutes, although my Jups have the smaller bells. The Conn-selmer pockets have the larger bell. Most pockets are built to student level performance requirements.

I am aware of Carol, Jupiter, Schagerl, Berkerley - Not recommended, and the older Benge models.

There was a pro player in Australia who used to play the Benge pocket professionally, but he always used a Harmon for the performance. His name was Keith Hounslow - I loved to see him play live. He made the pocket more than a novelty.
    My Jazz Life. 50 Years in Australian Jazz. Details.

I would say buy it - they are not a huge investment, but great for fun factor.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Funny that the first-valve finger button wasn't screwed on all the way. Looks like a fun toy though. The Conn-Selmer website says they were built to their specs, so no knowing where they come from. Stainless steel valves don't lose their plating so they should last.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's only money, right? Quality depends on who built it. You may have noticed that most all the lower end pockets look amazingly alike, so it may not matter. I like my Jupiter but it costs more than this.

5. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I can't add a great deal to this discussion, but I do have a stupid question - what is the advantage of a pocket trumpet over a cornet?

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It lets trumpet players pretend they're playing a cornet while using their regular trumpet mouthpiece...:lol:

7. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    You see that is what I thought. I wanted a trumpet to take with me on business trips to various "budget" hotels, but needed it to be small too; so I took and Olds Ambassador cornet and had it tweeked to take a normal trumpet mouthpiece (and the lead pipe slightly altered, so that it plays in tune). It was a 1950's version that had the oversized receiver in any event, making modern cornet mouthpieces redundant, so it was not a major issue. I now have a very trumpety cornet or a little cornety sounding trumpet, depending on your view. It works more than well enough for me and is also pretty cool sounding.

8. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    If you can find a used Taylor pocket they are brilliant. That said, most people will not play the pocket very much, so it's not worth the money, and the Carol ones are pretty good too. I haven't tried this model, so I will be interested to see how it goes, should you choose to get it.

9. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I'll sell my Taylor Pocket Rocket, if anybody's interested. Send me a PM.

10. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I have a CarolBrass pocket . I think it's great, although I haven't tried any other pockets except for a Jupiter. (CarolBrass is definitely better)