Point of no return....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Apr 11, 2011.

1. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hey there everyone. So I've been playing about 8 months now and have been wondering something. Firstly, I am a VERY proficient guitar player. Now it just feels like it's part of my body. I can think a phrase and it just happens without too much work. For me it sort of "clicked" if you will around halfway into my second year playing, I was practicing easily as much as I practice trumpet. Come to think of it, it really happened when I started to play with other people. I can't wait until this happens with trumpet, god knows I'm putting in the hours. My wife is ridiculously understanding and my neighbors are fantastic. I have a great teacher and get frustrated like we all do. But I do know that to really learn an instrument takes dedication, and practice. That being said, I was wondering when your "point of no return" happened to you. Is there a specific moment when the horn stopped fighting you and began talking back? Just curious if other musicians have experienced this phenomenon?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Evan,
    I play both as well ... at one time the trumpet was my main instrument. The guitar seemed easier to get around, you have the "pattern" thing going for you.
    I wish I could give you an aha moment ... but I can't. Things sped up once I got a really good teacher.
    Maybe you can tell us after 2 years of playing.

3. Carolina_Jazzman

Carolina_Jazzman Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2011
    I have played guitar for 20+ years and trumpet for less than 6 months. I seem to have taken to trumpet a lot faster than I did guitar. I can already get certain sounds I want. I think this is probably already being familiar with music and scales but also my long time desire to learn trumpet. I love playing so much I practice a lot! Probably more than I should for a beginner. I just find it hard to put down.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I play bass too.

The difference is that the sound generator is our body and the horn is merely a resonator. That means that we will ALWAYS have to do more to stay proficient with the trumpet.

The trumpet clicking requires a substantial set of polished tools to cover range, dynamics, flexibility and endurance. That is very "unnatural usage of the body. I think that the guitar is more "organic" in what it demands.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I was in 7th grade when things started to click for me. I started playing trumpet in band class in 5th grade when it was first offered, and I actually started off as an alto sax player - my older sister was getting serious about playing, but we couldn't afford to get her a better horn unless we traded my sax and I switch to playing the beater King cornet she started on. Until the middle of the 7th grade I was a middle of the pack player and not even close to being 1st chair. I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden it started to make sense and I went through a short but very fast learning curve to where I was neck and neck with another kid for being the best player in our class.

I went through several periods of learning like that. I continued to improve through the 8th grade, but it was in 9th grade where I had my next big burst of development, which was likely due to the fact that I had the horn in my hands and on my face every chance I got, and I was being challenged by a higher level of music in high school band.

After that, I had another burst of development toward the end of my 11th grade year and into my senior year, and the next burst of development came about a year and a half after that about 6 months into my first Army band assignment, and it was at that point where I started to understand that while I had done some good playing, there were still many levels above me that I might never attain.

Not sure if that helps any, but that's the way it was for me.

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I was playing sax at the time in a small jazz combo, college level. It was during a solo, I even remember the note I started on... G# :) Great tune, great changes, great set of musicians, and as I'm soloing suddenly it felt like I wasn't playing anymore, just thinking music I wanted to hear at that particular moment, and out it would come. Personally I tell people music is my religion. And really that was one of my first "spiritual" experiences.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    It took about three years. I have played bass and drums for many years, and I feel that trumpet is much more personal in the sense that it is the mouth, throat, lungs, and torso as well as fingers and arms. IE it takes longer to incorporate into your personality, but once you do it is much more spiritual if you will. I also feel that this can happen sooner depending on if you are satisfied with some really simple whole tones and not worrying about too many keys.:cool:

8. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Dave, I know what you mean, it's easy on the guitar in terms of patterns. You memorize one and simply move it up and down the neck. But the cool thing with trumpet is you aren't physically connected to a spot in your range, you can just switch thinking caps and go from C to Eb, provided you have your scales memorized that is. Apples and oranges but it's cool to have perspective on both isn't it?

9. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Well put Rowuk, thank you. How do you like living in Germany? The wife and I are considering visiting next year for our vacation. I really want to make the trip coincide with a performance of the Berlin Phil. That would just make my year....

10. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm interesting Trickg, sort of like learning in bursts with periods of time spent in the wading pool. I could see that. Sometimes I just am inexplicably focused and things fall into place.