Point of no return....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Apr 11, 2011.

  1. veery715

    veery715 Utimate User

    5,010
    1,802
    Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    And the flip side of that is sometimes we just can't focus for beans. I think one of the hardest skills to master is to focus explicably. Now there is a skill with unlimited applications.

    Being able to forget about the instrument and just play the music is the goal. On trumpet it is about as hard as it gets. But the more intentional focus we can bring to the practicing, the closer we can get to the goal.

    And it always helps to remember that we do this for pleasure, because we are driven to do it, and there is no sense whatsoever in yielding to a drive which doesn't make us happy.
     
  2. BrotherBACH

    BrotherBACH Piano User

    403
    144
    Oct 5, 2010
    If I understand you correctly, here is my 2 cents. There are always days when you feel like the horn is "fighting" you. I guess with experience, these days do get fewer and fewer but they still happen nontheless. The days that you are fighting with the horn may be just a bad day for the chops i.e., purely physical. However, my worse days are purely mental. A bad mood because of a work or a family situation. It could even be time-related stress of squeezing in a practice when there is so many other responsibilities. All these things result in a lack of concentration and focus on the task at hand so I do not set my chops properly and use my air efficiently. My mind just strays.

    BrotherBACH
     
  3. schleiman

    schleiman Piano User

    375
    82
    May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    That's exactly it BrotherBach, I have the hardest time concentrating when life only allows me about 30 mins or an hour to practice. On those days it's hard to concentrate on development of my skills because my mind is concerned about being at X place in Y amount of time and do I need to run errands and blah blah blah. I make the most progress on my days off work, where I can really sit down and dig in for several hours. Most weeknights I do this too, it's just that sometimes other priorities force themselves into my practice schedule. Oh well, I suppose some face time is better than none.
     
  4. tobylou8

    tobylou8 Utimate User

    16,417
    7,543
    Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I understand what you're saying. For me, it is a continual progression. There are things that just click and I am able to move on to the next challenge, then it clicks and I go to the next. And some days nothing clicks. My point of no return was when I could forget the bad days and not let them affect my tomorrow's.
     
  5. The Kraken

    The Kraken Piano User

    271
    5
    Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    My point of no return is when I realized that I could do it!!

    That it was not just for the gifted!!!

    Being a comeback player, I realized it was part of my life that was missing after 36 years!! I have come full circle!!
     
  6. BrotherBACH

    BrotherBACH Piano User

    403
    144
    Oct 5, 2010
    When I was jogging I felt the same too as I do now when trying to pratice under time constraints. Is it possible to practice first thing in the morning and/or last thing at night? That is how I used to approach running to fit it in and not worry about other things.

    BrotherBACH
     
  7. rowuk

    rowuk Moderator Staff Member

    Age:
    61
    16,616
    7,962
    Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well, I've been here since the mid '70s so I guess we have found equilibrium. Berlin is great but so is Dresden and Leipzig too.................
     
  8. ComeBackKid

    ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

    2,858
    68
    May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Well, I don't think that I have passed that point yet...I feel like I could return at any moment - especially when my wife discovers yet another trumpet refugee in my stockpile.
     
  9. kingtrumpet

    kingtrumpet Utimate User

    8,612
    2,128
    Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I finally clicked with the trumpet on this recent 2 years as a "comebacker". So after 30 or so years of "trying" to click with the trumpet (because I love the thing), quitting and restarting, frustration, etc. --I finally figured it out. so for the last year or so there are finally 80% of the days that I click with the horn, and it is awesome. The other 20% of the time -- I still suck and its frustrating ---- what more can I say????
     
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  10. gmonady

    gmonady Utimate User

    18,129
    9,305
    Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To me the point of no return is when listening becomes hearing. You will truly know when you begin hearing.
     

Share This Page