point of tears....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Nov 4, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    My Aristocrat isn't necessarily vintage but it looks like hell. Its laquer is scratched and unclean, the third valve is a replacement after it snapping during band camp (dontask), and overall its just a beaten up horn, from me really beating on it as a six year old, then stupid fifth, sixth, and seventh graders knocking it from my chair, hitting the bells of their horns with mine, etc. Its in a rather sad state. Kids used to make fun of me for it being such a crappy looking horn. This is the horn (bad shot angle):
    [​IMG]
    it looks worse first hand.
    Yet no one would ever pick it up, despite the fact it was a great sounding and great to play horn! Then one girl was having her strad in for cleaning and needed a horn, so I gave her my Aristocrat (after I finally was given my Strad as a gift from my grandparents, and parents). She looked at it with disgust, but within two minutes of playing had this huge smile on her face, and turned to me saying this is so much better then my student horn, and quite frankly its not to bad compared to my Strad. Looks aren't everything. You make the horn sound good, and looks aren't everything. Sure a purty horn would be lovely, but the sound that the horn and player makes is what really counts.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Some of the better players don't play shiny new horns--watch them closely and you'll see worn finishes and dents. Unless the horn is functionally impaired the appearance isn't important. You should take your lessons and play the horn you have. Actually having a poor quality horn may end up making you a better player because you have to work a little harder. It's the master who makes the horn, not the horn that makes the master.

3. Resurrection

Resurrection New Friend

From your post, I take it that you're in high school. You have both my sympathy and respect for being willing to play anything not "new and shiny" in today's world. That said, I have to say that my parents would never have let me take lessons from another high school student, not because he/she might not play better, but because of the lack of teaching experience.

As was said before, have your horn checked out, start saving for a new one if you wish (we all do), and discretely check into another teacher. Just my opinions.

Best,

Bill

4. Finlo

Finlo New Friend

Nov 6, 2009
    SW Minnesota, USA

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  5. Finlo

Finlo New Friend

Nov 6, 2009
    SW Minnesota, USA
    You're in a tough spot. I've been there. It has been my experience that a number of good music stores will offer affordable payment options, especially for students. You might want to consider something like that if you think you need a new horn...and perhaps you do.

You might also be surprised at how many people have a good trumpet that's been sitting in a closet for years never being played. Ask around at your church or school or in your community and see if anything turns up.

When you play your section leader's horn do you use your own mouthpiece or theirs? I have recently been surprised how a simple little change such as getting a new mouthpiece can dramatically improve my sound. Just a thought there.

Best of luck to you.

Finlo

6. Finlo

Finlo New Friend

Nov 6, 2009
    SW Minnesota, USA
    101...I had another question I wanted to ask you...two really:
    #1...What is the horn of your dreams if you had your choice?
    #2...Realistically, what horn would you like to own right now to replace the one you have?

7. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    I can relate. When I was starting out in grade 6 I had a POS $20USD no name horn I got from Asia. I was the worst player in the bad at the time. Two years later on that same horn I am now 2nd trumpet. Grade 10 in high school I got a new horn and now I'm lead trumpet in the SENIOR jazz band. I always thought the problem was me until I tried my friends 2335 Yamaha. Basically what I'm trying to say is that horn will help you more than you think.

8. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I have a sort of beat up but functional Bach TR300 + gigbag that I was going to donate to mhopus.org. If you pay for the shipping via USPS (from Boston to Arkansas, let's say $25 including insurance etc), it's yours.

I even have a box and packaging already... It plays better than the horn I used as 1st chair all through high school 25 years ago. The valves are fine with a little bit a of valve oil. Cosmetically it's not too bad either.

PM or email me if you're interested.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  9. Rawr

Rawr New Friend

Nov 18, 2008
    Connecticut
    Sometimes even really good horns can have really awful sounds due to one reason or another. Try this, grab your horn and a plunger (should be easy to find if you play trumpet, right?) Press the back of the plunger into the bell of your horn (Not the side you would use for wah-wah's) press all three valves down and blow through the mouthpiece. If your horn doesn't have a leak, and the bell doesn't have any dents that would allow air to escape from around the plunger, you should have a really hard time getting air through it. (make sure to watch that your slides don't shoot out of the horn from the pressure, I got a really nice dent that way >.<)
    If you do feel or hear an air leak, see if you can find where it is. Good areas to check are the spit valves and the slides. Take your horn to the shop if you even think there may be a leak.
    If you do decide to look for a new trumpet, do a lot of careful research and take into consideration where you aim to go as a trumpet player. Make sure you play any horn you are considering before you buy it. Go to a place like Dillon's where you can try lots of different horns. Also, try some different mouthpieces.
    It sounds like you have a lot of respect for your section leader. But you may want to consider a more advanced instructor. As a high school student, there is a lot he may be lacking as far as his own teaching ability and performance ability. Take into consideration how good of a player he is, who he studies with, and what he wants to do for a career. If he is striving for a college education in music, or is very serious about his playing, he might be safe to stick with, but don't think that he is the best teacher for you simply because he's the best trumpet player in your high school band.

10. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    It sounds like ASHER is a pretty good shit. Take him up on the offer.
    I think you should then send in your Capri to Getzen for a factory overhaul.
    Something went wrong somewhere in the rework.