Pointless Horn Cannibalism...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tutin_trumpeta, Oct 20, 2009.

1. tutin_trumpeta

tutin_trumpeta Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Yesterday I was trawling through page after page of trumpet stuff on eBay (.com instead of .co.uk - for a change) and I spotted various bits of an Olds Ambassador for sale. Normally, this is quite usual to see bits of old horn that people have salvaged from unplayable instruments, but there seemed to be lots of parts all from the same seller. Upon closer inspection, that same seller is selling a whole Olds Ambassador but not as one piece - all as separate lots... I checked and every last little bit was there as it's own item (or paired in the case of the braces, and in 3's for valve tops etc.).
    It saddens me that someone would do this to what looks like a perfectly good horn...

Why would someone do this?

Nick

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I guess the parts are greater than the sum of it all....

3. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    well it's not entirely difficult to find a good olds ambassador nowadays, but eventually that well will run dry. he may even make more money parting out that horn than he would selling it whole.

also look at it this way, if it weren't for people parting out horns where would someone like me find replacement parts to keep my two vintage olds playing?

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    If the plating is worn off the valve pistons (or there is some other problem with a piston) then the value of the whole horn is greatly reduced. Perhaps they just want to get some value out of it.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't have a problem with it. There are lots of Ambassadors out there with life left in them so replacement parts are needed. The seller in questions might get a few more dollars (not hundreds) for parting them out, and those in need of parts will get good ones...

6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Is it really anyone's business except the person who owns the horn? What's next;the state horn commissioner in charge of preservation of trumpets?:dontknow:

7. Gaucho Viejo

Gaucho Viejo Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2008
    Palouse, Washington
    I don't think Nick was criticizing the practice - just a little confused by it. I have my own doubts whether selling the horn off "piece meal" is going to give the owner much more return than selling it as a "unit" but, as you say, it's his business - maybe he knows something we don't.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  8. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    it's called an opinion and a topic of conversation. the only one passing judgement here is you.

9. Gaucho Viejo

Gaucho Viejo Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2008
    Palouse, Washington
    Though the referenced "horn commissioner" might be a good thing in response to the Alucards of this world (probably shouldn't have brought him up when what we need is a calming influence). Relax, everyone (kinda ironic coming from me, eh?).

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    An Ambassador doesn't bother me. A Schilke or Monette would make me scratch my head though.

America, land of the free, home of the brave.