Polish/clean silver plated trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Shebulba, Dec 26, 2014.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Very nice job balancing the equation doc. You get an A+. Love that H2S. Now we know why you keep the dog with you - bet you blame it on him.

2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    would the tin foil/salt method harm a gold wash bell in any way?

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Nope.

According to Charlie Melk, "when it's starting to get a little dark," just a soaking in water with Dawn dishwashing liquid is enough to brighten it back up again. If you need to do more, use 3M Tarni-Shield.

You could always do like I did, hand it to your local tech for a complete cleaning and buffing. :-) (One guess who my local tech is.)

Tom

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would not use tin. I would use Aluminium. Different metals, different redox properties. Aluminium will not harm Gold.

5. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    From Wikipedia

Tin foil, also spelled tinfoil, is a thin foil made of tin. Actual tin foil was superseded by cheaper and more durable[1] aluminium foil after World War II. Despite this, aluminium foil is still referred to as "tin foil" in many regions in a similar manner to how aluminium cans are still referred to as tin cans.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But Rin Tin Tin is still a dog... Unless you are dyslexic, and then he is a god.

7. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ha. I agree. I'm wondering if I have ever seen tin foil. Maybe as a kid. Maybe the new dog name is Rin Al Al. Or La La if you are dyslexic.

8. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Sorry, to clarify I did mean aaluminum foil. We still call it tin foil in my house.

9. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    I second the aluminum foil trick. After that, I recommend picking up a nice silver polishing cloth (I like the Bach ones but whatever is available will work) to maintain the finish and hand buff any small crooks where the aluminum foil couldn't reach.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I just had this conversation with my wife the other day, I caught myself referring to aluminum foil as "tin foil" and then wondered how many people even knew what tin foil was.
    That being said ... I get a kick every time someone gives the foil and salt water a try ... they always seem amazed ... heck every time I do it I get a kick out of it. It's soooooooooooooo easy.