Polish/clean silver plated trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Shebulba, Dec 26, 2014.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Alright. You guys made me feel badly about my Liberty that sits on a stand and is my usual practice horn. Hadn't been cleaned in 2 years and was really looking tarnished. Decided to go the Aluminim foil route. Used both salt and baking soda and very hot water. After an hour it was improved but still needed a silver paste polish.

As I was working, several things occurred to me. When using silver polish, you do manage to get it on your hands and eventually on the female slide parts. That can't be good. Probably need to be more careful with the polish.

I ended up using Vasoline for the slides (and always put a little on the valve cap and bottom screw threads). As you insert the slide and work it in, occasionally a small blob ends up inside the tube. If .003 difference in bore can make a big deal to some, surely even an ever so small blob of slide grease in the tube should also make a difference, shouldn't it? Of course, you can always check to be sure there isn't any there by pulling the slide, but when you reinsert it, maybe it creates another blob. Sort of like how do you make sure the light goes off in the refrig when the door is closed. Ha.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Steve, I don't know what you're doing different, but I don't get silver polish on my hands as I wear disposable gloves. Too, I don't get globs of slide lube inside my tubing from the slides as I work the lube into the slide to just the thinnest coat making sure none gets inside by using a plug. Then the tube would sheer any excess (but there isn't any). Of course I use liquid lanolin as a lubricant and just a dab is enough (just like the hair cream).

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ed,

I was polishing the horn while disassembled. Wish there was a magic way to keep polish from not slightly going past the joint where the inner tube connects. Assembling and then polishing would solve the problem, but not let you get to all the nooks and crannies.

On the blob issue - I'm talking a small blob - not like the one in the 1950s movie. If some of the lubricant adheres to the inner wall of the female slide (the larger) as you hope it would, and then you pull the slide out and reinsert, the end of male slide acts as a squeegee as the slide is reinserted. It can scrape any lubricant adhering to the inner side of the female slide. i.e., it can cause a slight "lip" of lubricant to form at the end of the slide.

Just making conversation.

4. Idealhobbies

Idealhobbies New Friend

Jan 16, 2011
    Milford, Delaware
    At great risk...i reopen a thread....

My son just got a used Getzen 700s Eterna II. I used a polishing cloth by Sabrina Silver on it and was VERY pleased. It's actually 2 cloths sewn together. 1 is for cleaning (beige cloth) and 1 is for polishing (blue cloth). No creams involved, no mess and it does a wonderful job. Available on Amazon for $6.65
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FIS5U4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If a horn is horribly tarnished, the aluminum foil with salt can work wonders, but I prefer the treated polishing cloths--they leave the tarnish in the small, microscopic scratches, which gives it a beautiful luster. I find the aluminum foil/salt method leaves the metal looking "flat." Congrats on the 700S, by the way!

6. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Hey Tom,

Awfully nice to have Charlie Melk in our back yard!!

Kevin

7. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I usually use toothpaste that has no grit. Works just as well as any polish I've ever used. I have two trumpets, one is a silver plated Yamaha Bobby Shew model and the other is an Olds Recording Model. The Yamaha seems to tarnish a lot. I have never had to use anything but a cloth on my Olds. The Olds has silver, copper and gold plating. I use it on my mouthpieces as well. Smells nice when you are done too!!!!

8. Merelyatheory

Merelyatheory New Friend

Jan 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    I just gave it a shot using baking soda and foil. It worked very well for me and I am quite pleased. Probably twenty minutes in the foil started to get noticeably dull and the silver noticeably brighter. After about another ten it looked great. I tried to get decent before and after shots but failed. I am still trying to figure out how to take a photo that will do it justice but my phone doesn't take good photos of anything.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It is merely a theory but the chemical equations behind explain this action works well for me (a chemist) and my horns (as a musician).

10. Merelyatheory

Merelyatheory New Friend

Jan 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    I trusted the science. I am also strapped for time and cash so anything that easy had to be worth a try. I had planned to give a warm bath tonight anyway.