Polished Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tim Kennedy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Tim Kennedy

Tim Kennedy New Friend

Dec 19, 2009
    kentucky
    For those of you that have raw brass horns and want to put a brass shine on them what do you use? I've been told "Brasso" is a big no-no and have been using "Never Dull" and a soft cloth but... 1) it's a lot of work and 2) it doesn't last as long as I'd like (see No. 1).

The horn I have in raw brass is a 1968 Bach Strad 37 w/ a #7 leadpipe, 1930's rounded tuning slide and heavy caps and tops.

Tim

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Maas

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    What are you going to do with it after you get it polished? Polished brass horns get lacquered to preserve the shiny finish. If that is what you want... a polished horn, then I would say you should get a pro to do it. They know how to buff a horn and have the right lacquer spraying equipment. If you aren't going to lacquer it then why other polishing... it will just tarnish again quickly. I'd let it patina.

Flitz is another metal polish that you can get at a hardware store.

http://www.sculpt.com/technotes/buffingtips.htm

4. Tim Kennedy

Tim Kennedy New Friend

Dec 19, 2009
    kentucky
    Actually I do leave most of the horn just raw but polish the bell and buff it. Thanks for the suggestions and info.

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I only strip and polish trumpets that have cancerous flaking lacquer. It takes some time to get it beautiful. TAL-STRIP II by mar-hyde for removing lacquer ( can take 2 or 3 applications ) followed by an aggressive water rinse ( like a garden hose on jet ). This stuff is nasty.....do it outside. I use Brasso or Wrights brass polish to get the UGLY stains off. Again wash off entire horn in a warm tube of water and laundry detergent. Seal the finished horn with an auto wax like Mother's Finest. I use MF polymer chrome polish. Look at the Conn 12B that I stripped and cleaned on eBay ( completed listings ). I am Norwaywins. It's on it's way to France tomorrow.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Ummm...I use Brasso... with paper towel to give it a go over.

Then a clean terry towel to get the final buff, and use a lycra cloth to wipe over after use.

Never knew Brasso was so bad for raw brass. I will keep using it as half a bottle remains, and that's about 4 years use with the 2 horns I use it on.

To make it last longer, use some auto wax for a final buff up.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    WHEN I need to polish oxidized brass, I use brasso too. Unless you are polishing daily with a coarse paper towel, there should be enough brass there to last hundreds of years.

Personally, I prefer the oxidized brass look and do not try to keep a mega shine on unprotected metals.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

I've got to second MAAS. I was surprised at how effective it was. It doesn't take a great deal of effort to to get the metal shiny.

9. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    MAAS is great, as is Simichrome. I bought it for my motorcycle, but it does a great job on raw brass and seems very mild.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    PakWaan, is it a Bb or C motorcycle? :roll: