Polished Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tim Kennedy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have about 10 gallons of different cleaners.. MAAS is by far the best I have tried. The Westleys is pretty good on silver ... but I can go over a horn that has roughed up lacquer spots and the MASS is less obvious.
    I then put some car wax on it. It protects the horn from retarnishing too ... and if you use a Meguires product it will have a very nice scent.
    I do use Brasso.. if the finish is toast and really dirty ... then I go over it with MAAS.
    I always tell anyone that is buying a horn from me that they need to put some polish on it once a month to keep it from tarnishing. I feel it's misleading to strip a horn and polish it up, knowing full well they are clueless as to what is down the road. If I lose a sale, so what, I have to be able to look at myself in the mirror each day.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Peter if you try the MAAS you will be amazed ... so much more shine

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have never seen MAAS is Australia; maybe I am just blind. I will look for it, and try it. But I have half a bottle of Brasso to get through that works well.

Just checked, it seems to be a motorcycle metal polish. 2 types a bottle and a can. Which one should I try?

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I imagine a can would be enough to polish every trumpet on the continent. I bought an 11oz tube and it polished about 12 trumpets that were in really bad shape.
    I would take the brasso down to the marina.. someone should be able to use it :)
    This is what I bought
    Maas® Mutli-Surface Metal Polish (91403-01) - 6 Pack - Metal Polish & Cleaners - Ace Hardware

it's really THAT good and very easy on your hands as well ... and it doesn't smell fumey either

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The Blitz valve and slide care cloth works very well for me. These have removed water marks that Brasso did not remove, and takes very little effort:D

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I put on some good lacquer. I personally believe those who get all "raw brass is best, snoogans!" are completely full of crap. If a person cannot adapt to that miniscule change... fine. Whatever makes you happy... but you're influencing people who blindly follow your line of crap.

Just lacquer that horn and play!

Tom

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Peter, I've just checked eBay.com.au and found Maas Metal Polish available from the US for about $25 - type in Maas Metal Polish into Google.

8. Tim Kennedy

Tim Kennedy New Friend

Dec 19, 2009
    kentucky
    Thanks Tom. Not my line of crap though. I've had the horn re-lacquered three times since purchasing it in 68' and just decided to let it go aunatural. The look doesn't bother me, just wanted a little shine on the bell. Personally I think there are a slew of factors other than lacquer vs raw that tender the sound of a trumpet or any brass instrument for that matter.

Tim:D

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I vote for MAAS. It goes a very long way and works better than anything else I have tried. Once shiny you can keep it that way with auto wax or a silicone treated gun cloth.

10. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I suggest using Scotch brite followed by a wax layer. It is easy to use and preserves a matte shine w/ little effort. I am developing horn re-dos using basic materials and sand blasting. Nice finish, easy to take care of and unique.

Shiny brass like silver turns very quickly. Use a nice carnuba wax which can be stripped with soap and warm water easily.