Polishing Nickel Plate?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LH123, May 18, 2011.

1. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Better nickel than mercury.

2. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    Mercury plated trumpets are even more slippery than nickel ones ROFL;-)
    But they're very good for measuring your temperature. (Sorry - couldn't resist)

3. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    Ahh...so this is what they mean; "NICKLED AND DIMED TO DEATH".

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For many it would be if ingested and some are allegic to it. I had 25 cents worth of nickels in my pocket until I just tossed them into my coin gathering bowl. If you handle coins with bare hands, it is NOT suggested you lick your fingers. I've a Colt .357 on 41 frame that is nickel plated, but it is the only firearm I have with such although I've seen many others. I see a haze of heat above it when I shoot on a hot sunlite day, that is not so noticeable on blued or Parkerized firearms. At one time it was my late maternal uncle's LEO service revolver so it isn't going anywhere.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A thin lacquer coating would not be adequate to insulate for continuity test, at least not mine.

6. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    Good thought on not licking the fingers after handling money. As to that haze off the nickel plated gun on a hot/sunlit day...it makes me wonder if I shouldn't roll up my windows and turn off the AC when going over the RR tracks . I've noticed the same haze on hot days! :-?

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Railway line has almost no nickel in it - it has a bit of chromium and some vanadium but it's mostly mild steel - or pretty much the same composition as the steel "table" on the top of an anvil - how do I know - I've put a small sample of each in an Electron Beam Microscope and measured the disturbance of the co-valent bond when the electron beam does it's stuff.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I was wondering this myself. I like to wash both my horns at once. One is silver and one is brass+nickel silver, can I use the same tub and and add the baking soda + salt + foil when I soak the horns, or do I need to do the silver tarnish removal separately especially for the silver horn.