Polishing Raw Brass Bugle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Sep 27, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    From a fellow cello player he gave me his calvary bugle for a good polish.
    It's rawbrass. Now how would I polish this?
    I have no access to MAAS polish and car wax.
    I have brasso and I heard if I give a wipe of olive oil on raw brass trumpets it would stop it from tarnishing the brass.

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I'd give it back to your friend before you do anything to it.

Your friend asked you to give it a good polish, and you in turn ask others how to polish it....you see how this situation is kinda backwards right?

Keep in mind, if you mess up your friend's horn...you're responsible. So maybe stick with stuff you know and have practiced. Sure, polishing isn't the same as doing major repair work...but you could still mess something up due to lack of knowledge and in the process, upset your friend.

Kujo

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Brasso will be fine, just do not overdo it, use small amounts on a soft cloth and polish small areas at a time, do not try to polish all in one hit. When you finish a coat of any household furniture polish eg Mr Sheen will help preserve the finish.

Regards, Stuart.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would soak it in a mild, warm citric acid solution (30 minutes) first to get most of the tarnish and then just touch up with brasso.

The problem with cleaning a friends horn is that if there is appreciable wear (thin metal) any cleaning can make a hole - requiring repair.

Clean Brass with Citric Acid - 10mm-firearms.com

Been doing this for decades! Make sure your dishwashing liquid has NO AMMONIA!

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    If you have no access to Citric acid then rub with a cloth wet with white vinegar, you will probably find in the kitchen, should remove the tarnish ok.

I have never seen an instrument that has worn through by polishing although it may be possible, I have an 1830s Sheffield plate cake dish (before electro plate) that the silver has worn through by repeated polishing over 100+ years.

Regards, Stuart.

6. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Thank you Stewart.
    I didn't have citric acid but I do have vinegar.
    then I will finish off with brasso.
    I have a Linseed Polish oil, I was thinking you that for the protective agent.
    I have applied some before on my Barth trumpet bell after polishing and it did kept that shineyness.

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Ketchup and carnuba (Turtle) automotive wax! No abrasives just elbow grease. Olive oil will protect the brass for a short period, put it on very thin and buff by hand with soft cloth until you think you've completely removed the oil, it's still there. I used to use olive oil before I started using car wax, the car wax is less work, cleaner and last longer. The ketchup really really works very good