Polishing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ugly story here:

I played Carmina Burana in Paris, and decided to polish my trumpet before the concert (I'd been in the midst of an ugliest trumpet contest before). I showered half-way first, in order to get my trumpet moist; then kind of lathered up my trumpet with toothpaste, and walked around the hotel room sans wings whilst still polishing using a towel. The landlady walked in, and said something in French.

I wish I know what she said, and NO, I don't want to hear anyone's suggestions as to what she might have said!

Art is sometimes served by ignorance, after all!

I still got all the high c's, but closed doors are the best places to polish trumpets behind, I think.

Have fun!

2. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Now that is funny so the tarny shield will work on laquer?

3. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    I'd assume not since lacquer, to my knowledge, does not tarnish. So the tarni-shield won't shield it from anything that could harm it. All you have to do is wash it like you wash anything else. Just don't get the felts in the valves wet.

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006

The aluminum and sodium carbonate works on silver. Buy Arm and Hammer All Natural Super Washing Soda. I used one cup in 1260 cubic inches of water.
    Hot water out of the tap but not hot enough to burn your hands.
    Three hours in the hot water will get the job done.
    Wrap your trumpet parts loosely in aluminum foil. The more the better.
    Sodium BIcarbonate works better for baking bread than shining silver.
    Don't use salt, sodium chloride, for anything but cooking your steak. It attacks brass inside the horn.

You don't polish laquer.
    You don't polish gold.
    Copper is usually laquered.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Okay...so another thing I'm always confused about.

I have aq '72 Benge Claude Gordon. It's silver colored, not brass colored. I assume this is a lacquer finish?

bigtiny

6. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    So what you do with gold then?

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Gold doesn't really oxidize. I think that's the point. Am I wrong?

8. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Actually the foil and hot water thing is a lot easier and gets all the cracks and crevices clean. You wash your horn anyway right? Buy yourself a small plastic basin large enough to submerse your horn. I just use the hot water that comes out of my tap. Next time I must try sodium carbonate (Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda) instead of sodium bi-carbonate (baking soda).

I like the shine that Tarni-Shield gives, so I do both. Some people (like my teacher) prefer the patina of a tarnished horn or I suppose they are too busy to bother. That's how you tell the pros from the amateurs--amateurs have shiny horns.:-)

Tarni-Shield™ Silver Cleaner Polish 625, 10 oz. No harsh abrasives--will not scratch fine silver. Restore lustrous shine to flatwear, jewelry, trophies, coins, and even pots and pans.

[​IMG]

Made by 3M. Cost about $10 for a 10oz bottle which should last a least a year. The best thing about this product is that it is water based and cleans up easy. Half a cap should do your whole horn. Apply to a section at a time with a soft cloth, let dry for a minute, and buff just like you would polish your car.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  9. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    Per several posts...HOT water, but NOT boiling...I've always heard IF it gets THAT hot...you could loosen a solder joint.

I "store" my horns in those anti-tarnish bags...while they don't STOP tarnish...they slow it down.

As for lacquer...TLC, as said...warm bath, good drying and buffing with plain ol cotton.

dizzyizzy

10. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA