Polishing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Aug 6, 2008.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Would an older horn that may have had the finish worn through be fine in that sort of bath? (a silver one)

2. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    For those of us using metric...

250ml (or 1 metric cup) of sodium carbonate into 20 litres of hot water.

I think the US cup is about 230ml so the conversion is close enough.

I haven't tried the foil method yet. My silver Bach actually has a subtle brown/pink colour to it. I think it's from being stored for months at a time without use in the brown Bach case. I'm going to try the foil method with my next clean.

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Wow, I have never ran into anyone that remembered Mr. Wizard besides me!!!LOL Nice to now their are other's! I use his sodium bicarbonate+aluminum foil in hot water trick too! When ever I tell someone that trick they look at me like I am crazy. Rowuk and the others are right though it works great. If their is any other grim mixed in witht he oxidation then sometimes you have to use something like Never Dull wadding that has cleaning and polishing compounds in it but if it is just routine tarnish best to follow the advice and above and use the home brew silver cleaning technique since that is molecular and not chemical as in corrosive and it is not mechanical as in friction so it will maintain the integrity of the finish more then other methods.

If the Silver had been lacquered by somone you would not need to clean it since oxidation does not happen in the abscence of air at a rate fast enough for you to ever have to worry about it in your lifetime on a silver of gold plated instrument if it should be lacquered.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This works very well, but just in the interest of recycling - can the solution be stored and re-used if both the cathode and anode (trumpet and al-foil - I'm not sure which is which) are removed before decanting into a storage vessel?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I didn't get any answer on this last time,
    but would the aluminum foil bath be safe for an antique cornet? I wouldn't want to damage it, but I'd like it to be shiny...:whistle:

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Perfectly safe for a sliverplated instrument (do not use this technique for a lacquered horn) - make sure you take your valves out first- works really well - use hot water - rinse well after the treatment.

7. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana

rowuk, believe it or not I have not heard of this method. I like it. Question though, will boiling hot water with salt hurt or effect the trumpet? As you are aware, one should never use hot water when cleaning a brass instrument.

Thanks...

8. heulwen

heulwen New Friend

Apr 20, 2009
    Ipswich, UK
    Reading through all of these messages I now have no idea what is on my trumpet! I have a gold coloured trumpet (A Stomvi) which has got little brown spots all over it, mostly around the value casing although also on the lead pipe, some of the tuning slides and around the finger rings. I have no idea whether I have a lacquered instrument - it's quite shiny though.

Could this be tarnish? Obviously your posts suggest I shouldn’t use the baking soda method but I’ve tried the TLC cotton cloth method and it's not touching it.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Try a soft flannel cloth and a bit of Windex or the like, it will clean up whether it is lacquered brass (much more likely) or gold plate. It isn't tarnish unless it is raw brass, because neither gold nor lacquer will tarnish (tarnish being a chemical reaction with sulfur or other components of the atrmosphere). They are probably water spots, which could be found on either finish. The lacquered brass finish has more depth to it, because is is a clear (or tinted) finish on top of the polished brass, whereas the gold plate has no coating.

Do not use any polish for metal as it will scratch lacquer and gold doesn't need it. You can use a fine quality (designed for clear coat) non-abrasive automotive finish wax on lacquer, but I doubt it will be necessary.

veery

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    water comes out of my faucet at 70 degrees celcius (that seems to be hot enough). 30 years and none of my instruments has bitten the dust. The silver ones are real shiny though!