polishing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edcon1981, Nov 9, 2008.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    hey guys,

i have a raw brass olds, and as some of you know it can be a real pain to polish in all the nooks and crannies, especially at the top of the valve body between the leadpipe and the bell pipe. the only tool i could think of to get those hard to reach places is a rotary tool (like a dremmel) with a cloth buffing tip, you know: like an electic toothbrush.

anyone ever risk this, if so how were the results? if i were to try this should i be concerned too much about damaging the brass? :dontknow:

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Those tools turn pretty fast - you might "burn" the finish. How about Q-tips and shoelaces. You can use the lace in a back and forth motion (like buffing a shoe). You can soak a lace in polish to apply and then use a dry one to buff.

Once you get it shiny, repeat the process with auto wax to apply a protective coat to keep air and perspiration away. It's a lot of work, compared to lacquer, or silver on which you can use the aluminum foil / baking or washing soda soak. That's probably why most raw brass horns end up not too shiny. Ugly doesn't change the sound.

3. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Ed,

I also tear apart old t-shirts and use the hems around the sleeves, waist and neck in place of shoe-laces to get into those tight bits. I usually have several on hand so that I have one that applies the polish and a "dry" one to then remove and buff. Use a back and forth, almost "sawing" motion. Also torn up strips of cotton t-shirts are nice for getting between the valves, between tight spots on slides, etc. in a similar fashion.

Qtips are good for applying polish but I worry about getting the bits of cotten floating around and inside where they can play havoc with the works like spit valves, etc.

Another trick I found for raw brass, if you want to prolong the shine and protect the metal from corrosion due to sweat and oils from the hand is to use "Nu-finish" car polish as a second go-round after the Brasso or other brass polish you use. This car polish will still remove even more tarnish and give a good protective coating. then the finish seems to age a bit with a more burnished than bright look over a couple of months before you need to go through the whole exercise again.

I'll show you at Beck's band on Wed. night.

4. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    see that, if it weren't for this forum i'd be burning up brass. i definitely like both of your methods, great thinking.

so after i get all the tarnish off, polish it with my preferred brass polish, then a coating of regular car wax? easy as that, huh?

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Lamp wick works well

6. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    I use MAAS on mine, get it at WalMart, cleans and polishes in one step. I did my horns on July 20th this year and they are still bright and shinny. I just wipe them down with a dry piece of t-shirt after every use. No car wax needed - one step operation, well two steps, put it on and wipe it off. :thumbsup:

7. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    see, now that's the kind of polishing i like. cleans and polishes in one shot. okay, so i'm a lil lazy.

question though, you said you did your horns on july 20th... do you practice with gloves or bare hands?

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Knowing Bernie, I think he needs to use his bare (bear) hands to get the most out of operating the valves and slides. :DI second the MAAS recommendation. I have had very long lasting shines on my raw brass horns, and redoing them gives as sense of accomplishment, seeing that tarnish coming off on the Czech and Besson. I don't play them as much as my other ones. I have neoprene valve casing covers which help retard contact. Works great on the family silver spoons (do when out of mouth), and my wife polished some sterling earrings got cheap at a rummage sale.
    It contains jeweler's rouge. Walgreens has it also.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Thanks for thatROFL!!!!!

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    You know those bamboo skewer things? The best for using pieces of tee shirt with MAAS :-)