polishing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edcon1981, Nov 9, 2008.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    is it safe to assume that cotton would probably be the best cloth for removing tarnish?

does anyone know of any cloths that can do damage? i know if you use certain fabrics on eyeglasses you'll get scratches.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Check out microfiber. Won't scratch.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I use silversmiths copper polish. It comes with an applicator sponge that get in all the hard to get to spotsand it rinses off with water.

4. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    Bare hands, or as Dave said, bear hands. However, similarly to him, I have purchased leather valve covers for both which no doubt help increase time-to-tarnish.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Hey Bernie, Have you ever heard of 'Verdigris', that green gunk that grows on brass as a result of being in contact with brass? It is often found on old harness hardware and belt buckles that have been in need of cleaning and polishing. Nasty stuff!!

OLDLOU>>

6. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    How come nobody mentioned "beer hands?"

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  7. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    Probably just naturally assumed!!! ROFLROFL

8. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    Yep, OldLou, comes from years of leather to brass contact. People have a nasty habit of leaving cartridges in holster loops and actually getting them almost welded in there!!! These covers have some sort of soft velvet plush lining on the back so there is no actual leather to brass contact, the leather is only on the hand side. Of course, it would pay to check for wear when you have the cover off for cleaning to make sure you haven't worn it away down to bare leather to brass some where.

9. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    i prefer the jean baptiste non leather valve guard (at least i think it was jean baptiste, bought all three at once). it's kind of like a felt lined foam rubber, the stuff that sport ankle braces are made out of. i have one on each of my horns.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Check out the hand guards at leather Specialties. I have the deluxe model on all my horns.