Poll: Players that have bottom lip play in the red

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bach37, Jul 2, 2013.

Does your bottom lip play in the red?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2013.
  1. I do

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. I don't

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Insignificant

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    2.) I don't

Also post what your usable range is.

Pedal Bb Double High E (partial ownership)

AND my IQ is in the higher range for people with intellectual developmental disorder (previously known as mentally retarded)

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    2. I don't.

I play from low F# (some pedal notes) to High G, sometimes A
    I used to play in the red on my UPPER lip, that was no good.

4. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Insignificant

5. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Third option: I don't know. I also don't know if I have a bunched chin. I also don't know what stream I play up or down from. I remember looking in a mirror and it bothered me what I looked like playing. I don't look anymore. Chris Botti looks like he's playing out of his nose. Sure sounds nice. Some people look like they screw the mouthpiece into their face counterclockwise and then play. Some of them play nice. I think too much has been quantified, qualified and homogenized to the point where individualism has been lost.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    2: I don't, but it's kind of borderline. I find that having the mouthpiece a little higher seems to provide a bit more space to focus on aperture, minimal pressure etc. I'm very happy with the sound that this MPC position lets me make. My range, 12 months into a comeback after 25 years layoff, is building nicely without any maniacal focus on this aspect - a few days this week, the squeaky DHCs became notes with the squeaks now a couple of tones higher. Range that I tackle with confidence low F# to F. Pedals are there, but not musical enough to let loose on an audience.

tj

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that the bottom lip red is significant. I don't think that a players own determination of usable range is significant. I think that the range in the parts that one gets from people that PAY to have you play is significant. I get payed to play from low F# below the staff to A (a bit more than) an octave above the staff. For a cornet solo, I have needed a pedal C once in my +40 year career. My rule of thumb is that you need a 3rd to a 5th more in the practice room to be confident on stage.

The names of notes are significant! Octaves ALWAYS start with C. A double G is a fifth above double C and if anyone "owns" that note, embouchure is not an issue. Those people also do not ask insignificant questions.........

8. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Insignificant