Poll

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpeterb, Apr 6, 2007.

What "issue" do you struggle with the most?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2007.
  1. Endurance

22.4%
  2. Range issues (upper and/or lower)

18.4%
  3. Transposition

14.3%
  4. Mastering multiple styles (ie. jazz/classical/improv/etc.)

6.1%
  5. technical issues (ie. finger velocity/lip slurs/etc.)

38.8%
  1. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Hey everyone....I am currently working on a Masters Thesis, and wanted to get some input from everyone...if you have time, please take time and let me know, which of the following things do you feel is the biggest "issue" that you as a modern trumpet player have to deal with....

1. Endurance
    2. Range (upper and/or lower)
    3. Transposition
    4. Mastering multiple styles (ie. classical/jazz/etc.)
    5. Technical issues (finger velocity, lip slurs, etc.)

Thanks for your help....

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Do you mean challenges I have in my own playing, so what is the most challenging thing for the pros who make a living at it? I'm not exactly qualified to answer if you mean the latter!

Jason.

3. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    1. Technical Issues -- I made it through five years of college without either of my two teachers ever having given me an assignment from Arban! I used Clarke and Irons the first two years, but nothing after that (except on my own). My introduction to multiple tonguing was when my second teacher handed me the Goedicke Concert Etude. My next run-in with it was when he handed me the Arutunian Concerto for my senior recital!

2. Multiple Styles -- I'd give anything to be able to improv; but, alas, I'm stuck in legit-land.

3. Range -- I can play up to high G, and then skip up to the Double C, but I don't have a good command of the upper register.

4. Endurance -- Band director chops!

5. Transposition -- Not a big deal to me. If I needed to know it, I could put the time in and get it.

4. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    The kind of work I do is good for endurance, but when it comes to certain technical issues, I have a hard time getting past my break points. I can multiple tongue, but not nearly well enough to tackle some of the more famous excerpts, I am never happy with my flexibility, and playing in a light manner is soemtimes a struggle.

5. Daniel Nole

Daniel Nole New Friend

Mar 29, 2007
    Switzerland
    Option number 5(technical issues) with also as objetive number 1(Endurance)included.
    Sound is part also of the set, but, must be part of the 5th option.

Daniel

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This poll is actually impossible to answer correctly because all of the factors are intertwined. You can't "master multiple styles" without solid technique, but solid technique is worthless without style.

This type of thinking: what is biggest, what is best, what is most important is exactly the problem that I hear in many of todays players (even those that are taking money for what they do). What they thought was most important destroyed the sensitive balance between ALL of the factors that truly are important.

You didn't even think to mention "a musical approach", sense of phrasing and timing, quality of tone, discipline. None of the things that makes music REAL MUSIC are present in your list. A player that is technically perfect but without SOUL can be replaced by a synthesizer or the Toyota robot!

I don't think this is "thesis material", sorry!

The facts are there - a post like "who is the loudest trumpet player" gets the highest amount of traffic. That makes me sad. This is not what makes trumpet playing fun for me - observing the "freak shows"!

The biggest issue for trumpet players of any era is the LOVE OF MUSIC, period. If you love it enough, you will do what is necessary to get to where you HAVE to be. That is what I hear that is missing in too many players!

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Can you choose "all of the above"?

Michael McLaughlin

8. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania