Pollishing the inside of the bell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jan 12, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Aesthetically I like the look of my two tone Olds Studio Nickel bell flair on the brass bell, but there is a sort of ugly red tarnish on the inside of the bell which is pretty noticable against the Nickel silver. Is there any good way to polish or clean that?

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    would brasso be worth a shot?

3. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Probably, I don't know(is that abrasive). Seems like it will be difficult to polish it, and clean it up after wards.

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Red seems like a strange color for tarnish on nickel silver. I'd start with a non-ammonia cleaner and a soft cloth and try to clean it off. I wouldn't graduate to abrasives like Brasso unless the horn is unlacquered.

5. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    It is two tone. The bell flare is nickel silver(no red color), but just behind it the bell is brass which has some red tarnish.

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    If there is any lacquer inside the bell that you want to try to save, I'd use lemon juice to remove the tarnish on the brass. If there is no lacquer, or you don't care about any remaining lacquer, there are plenty of polishing compounds that will remove the tarnish -- 3M Tarni Shield Copper & Brass would be one.

7. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    lemon juice? Sounds like a worthy try.

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I'd give the horn a bath after the lemon juice -- citric acid is pretty mild, but there's no sense leaving any down inside the bell crook.

9. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    I just stripped a lacquer large bore Selmer Radial and polished it up with one of these

[​IMG]

and some metal polish. It took less than an hour to polish the entire instrument. It's made of foam and works with a drill. Low speed, some polish and a microfiber to wipe the residue and it was the easiest polish job I've ever done.

10. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Did the trick. I had to add a little salt. I rinsed it out after wards.

Still some discoloration, but it isn't red so I claim success.