Pollishing the inside of the bell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jan 12, 2011.

1. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    no experience (yet) with "gettin dirty" with a trumpet, but i always used brasso to clean up my trombone... bad idea?

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Don't you have to go to raw brass for that? I am not hugely opposed to that, but I figure once I go raw brass there really isn't any going back.

3. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    i used it on a yellow brass bell, with no notable difference, did it for.. 6 years? just wondering if it thins the metal or something. makes it nice n shiny for sure

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Brasso will also remove the lacquer and any other finish on the instrument. Do not use Brasso on something you want to keep the finish on!!!

5. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    good to know, i was using it on a '72 olds ambassador. might have made a difference not much laquer left

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Brasso also contains ammonia, which is associated with a condition called "stress corrosion cracking." Apparently this is serious business if you're a shooter, and the potential for stress corrosion cracking is not to be taken lightly if you cleaned your reloaded brass shells with ammonia.

7. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I used brasso on my old trumpet that im about to sell, on the slides and the valves, and they look so clean and the valves are very fast although I think I may have done something to the turning slide, seams to leek a little bit of spit.... used some silvo on the silver plate the other day and it has come up really really well, just like new, dont fancy using it on my new gold laquerd beast tho.....