Poor performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 11, 2011.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Ever have a performance that makes you want to sell all things music related and spend the money on drugs and booze?

Sometimes it is so hard to take that deep breath and try again.

fraserhutch likes this.
  2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Been there..done that. Thank God we live to play another day. Best wishes.

BTW, are details to embarrasing to share? You first then I'l tell mine.

xjb0906 likes this.
  3. friarsd

friarsd New Friend

May 30, 2011
    Give your chops a rest......!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    XJB -- don't do it man -- don't give it up --- your renditions of Star Spangled Banner were awesome --- one bad performance is not the end. Even Maynard, and Herb Alpert, everybody (well everybody but DOC) has had a bad performance. That one performance can only break you --- IF YOU LET IT.
    take a step back and look at all the good songs, the great applause, and the positive feedback that you have had the last year or two.
    then get your horn back to your face, and play and be happy, and share that with others.
    go get em'

xjb0906 likes this.
  5. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Poor performance, eh?? Don't let it get you down--keep playing and get 'em next time. Anybody who plays an instrument can probably tell you about performances where they nailed the music and where the music nailed them!! In the latter category, one that sticks out in my mind is my high school's spring musical my sophomore year, which was "Camelot". I'd been switched to french horn for the pit orchestra, and I'd never played it before, but because I wanted to be in the pit orchestra, I learned how. It was a single F horn, and I played it well enough that my fellow high school students were impressed, in view of the fact that I'd just learned it. Everything went well until the second performance of the show. I had a muted solo in the second act. It was a fanfare, just a couple of measures long, and I'd nailed it at pretty much every rehearsal, and played it passably well in the first performance. In the second performance, I couldn't hear the pitches in my head in advance, for whatever reason (especially important on french horn) and the notes that came out of the horn that night still aren't recognized by any system of music theory!! The part that hurt the most was that everybody in the pit, including the band director, and more importantly to me, a cute girl who played clarinet, was laughing at me!! I got over it, and ended up playing french horn in the high school concert band the next two years (not your usual double!!) and getting a degree in music ed--I was a trumpet major, because I've played it longer and know more about it. Anyway, the main thing is, if you have a bad performance, I know it feels horrible, but don't give up. You'll nail it next time. Now as far as my other bad performances are concerned--just kidding!! There are too many to list!!

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

Thanks. I was just venting. Plus I think it is good therapy for folks to share these kinds of things.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Did you give them their money back?

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Funny. It was not a paid performance.

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I had bad days back in school , but never at performance time. One time at concert band festival where we were graded I recieved compliments from the judges recrodings for a solo I had in one of our pieces. I am not used to failing at performance time. Back in school we were always prepared thanks to a great director. Time to toughen up and move on.

10. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    That was my point.