Poor performance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 11, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, not in the last 45 years that I have been playing .

Actually, if most players could step back, judge their capabilities and then pick pieces that leveraged the strengths, then frustration would be a small factor!

2. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I took 12 years off from playing before realizing what was missing from my life. Playing music is something I tried to replace with many things. There was no success in that. I really got back into playing by accident and have been back at it for about three years. I practiced for about a year at home before I felt good enough about my sound production to sit in with a group. That is where I really started learning what I need to work on. Most of the time I treat my playing as if I am starting for the first time and feel blessed any time I get to play with others in a group. I listen to and pick the brains of the better players. When I do get solos I work to make sure I nail them and get compliments from other players and audience members. Many times I am in over my head but find ways to tread water long enough to get back home and evaluate what I need to do differently in my practice schedule to make things easier at performance time. This approach is really forcing me to improve much more quickly than taking the safe approach. I am playing music now that I couldn't have even attempted a year ago. Most of the time I am doing a very good job with it. Like any endeavor, there are moments of great happiness and moments of disappointment. Learning to deal with the disappointment is a lesson in itself.

I rarely get to pick the piece I am playing unless it a solo performance with accompaniment at a church. I usually play whatever piece is put on the stand in front of me by the person in charge of the ensemble I am playing in at the time.

Last night I played a paying gig with my big band at an opening for a convention center in an adjacent city. Tomorrow I will sight read a gig with a band at the International Car Show in Charlotte. Monday I am playing a tree lighting with the Symphonic Band. My mind is back where it needs to be and I am enjoying a great weekend of playing.

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The bad days let you know what to work on. More work = less bad days and more fun.

4. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Not in the slightest, and trust me, I've had some pretty bad performances! :D

5. trumpetpr

trumpetpr New Friend

Oct 22, 2007
    You had a bad performance? So what? Let me tell you buddy, we are not perfect and best thing we can do is to close the chapter and move on. Overthinking and being extremely severe on a bad performance can have a negative impact on your confidence. As a matter of fact, how can you possible think about buying drugs and booze because of a your bad performance. As a true professional take responsibility and evaluate what went wrong. Your body and mind give life and soul to the trumpet so dont even think to pollute your temple with drugs and booze. I know you are frustrated but your next solid performance will erase that bad experience. Good luck and keep it solid brother.

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The booze and drugs comment was tongue in cheek. Thanks.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AND YET XJB, I am inspired by your forthright attitude, your humility in acknowledging that NOT every day is a perfect day (performance) --- and the fact that you not only came back to the horn -- but YOU WENT OUT INTO THE WORLD TO PERFORM --- and inspire a great many young people, and other older people who will perhaps pick up an instrument that they long forgot about, and put in a closet. So XJB whatever the other critical Yo-yo's we have out there --- keep this one fact in mind ---- YOU will inspire others to play music -- most will never tell you of your impact -- and YET as long as you keep performing --- you will keep inspiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and what else can be said?????? oh yeah "go blow your horn" that is the whole point anyhow -- ROFL ROFL ROFL, ps. I am so funny that I amuse myself ROFL ROFL

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Is that sarcasm???

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    UMMMMM.. NO -- there isn't any sarcasm until the last line --- ummmmmmm "go blow your horn" --- and then that is the duality of the the message --- you can't inspire others unless you "blow the horn" -------"and you won't know if you have an excellent, good, or poor performance, uummmmm " unless your blow your horn" --------------- and lastly --- you are the only one who knows when you have a GREAT performance that lives up to your expectations and your capabilities -- AND THEN MY FRIEND --- I think it is OK to uummmmm """ blow your own horn""" so to speak. Gee, isn't that 3 messages?????? NONETHELESS you can't inspire people if you ummm "don't go out and blow the horn" -

and somehow, I find that ironic, and funny, and truthful --- and it amused me, cause I am me, ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow KT, you really gotta get yourself a mate. Hope you've been a good boy this year, 'cause I'm putting in a call to Santa.