Poor youtube recordings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MrRage, Dec 5, 2011.

1. MrRage

MrRage New Friend

Nov 19, 2011
    Its amazing to see how many bad trumpet recordings there are on youtube. Some of it is due to player ablities, but a lot of it I've found just has to do with poor recording. Bad microphone choiceness, placement and to some extent the environment it was recorded in as well. Lately I've been trying to find good youtube clips of trumpet players and its been really hard.

I wanted to start recording my progress so I could study it later and tried using the Blue Ball HD I had and man... that thing sucks. Anyways, I find it odd that people spend so much money on their trumpets and so little money on the equipment used to record it.

2. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    I'm not sure youtube is the venue most people use to "get noticed" by the industry. at least, thats how it appears to me by watching the videos. but you are correct. just looks to me like thousands of people jerkin around.

3. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    zoom H2

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Zoom H2n.

Homebilly is recommending the one they had before the n ..... These are great, very inexpensive and EASY TO USE. Man, are they easy .... Good manuals, you can begin recording within minutes. The newer one (the H2n), records in stereo and other modes, like surround. The recording quality is very high, above CD quality ... an industry high standard (up to 24bit, 96Khz). And the stereo mics can handle the trumpet blast, and sound pretty natural to me.

At some point in the development of a trumpet player, you have to start getting an accurate idea of what the sound really is, out front. These little recorders will tell you in great detail. Highly recommended.

Turtle

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I listen to a lot of National Public Radio, and to my ears, a LOT of that stuff sounds like amateurs jerking around. Some of this boring crap has already found its way to record company deals. The bar is awfully LOW these days, isn't it???

Turtle

6. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    The Blue is a condenser and I've had better luck with dynamics. The Blue needs to be put in omni or regular mode not the 10db pad. You need to be at least a foot away and off axis. Not all Blues are created equal either. As for the Snowball I had a brand new one and it sounded like crap except for voice and acoustic string things. I got an older one which sounds just beautiful. At one point they put out a firmware update for certain serial numbers. If one is just recording for their family, friends, own posterity I wouldn't say they don't have to spend a lot. I got the results here The Marines Hymn.mov - YouTube for under $100 Samson Q2U USB mic. I've only been playing since this March so be kind. The mic is on a stand, two feet away, off axis. The point though is to show you can get ok results without spending a mint.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The Blue mics all have their own unique sounds ..... they're all different. The good ones cost more ... A suggested mic (from Blue) for brass that will handle the sonic blast and add some warmth, is the Bluebird. It's only $300, which is really expensive or dirt cheap, depending on your point of view. The H2n recorder (that has 5 mics in it) is only $200. And, it's small enough to go inside your trumpet case.

Turtle

8. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I was speaking of even Blue mics in the same series like the Snowball which a lot of folks go for because it's a straight up USB mic and fairly inexpensive. Folks that are webcasting and looking for a straight up USB mic that will plug right into their machine and not require additional gear, drivers, etc have fewer choices. The Snowball can actually handle the SPL of a trumpet with the right placement.

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    A lot of the you tube videos weren't planned,but were recorded on the spur of the moment with someone's cell phone.Then the sound quality will depend on the cell phone,where the the person is sitting in the audience etc. and not necessarily the true live sound of the performer.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I'd be more inclined to go with bad word choiceness!