Popular Bitsch Etude?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ejaime23, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ejaime23

ejaime23 Pianissimo User

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston,TX
    Howdy all! In my limited audition experience (or lack there of), I've caught on to the popular excerpts, solos, etudes, etc that are usually asked. I was just wondering if there was a popular Bitsch etude that is typically requested or preferred at auditions. We all know that Charlier's 2nd etude is arguably the most popular and requested etude from that book, just wondering if Bitsch has a "Charlier 2" of its own. Thanks guys!

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    ejaime23-

I don't think there is a consensus "Charlier 2" equivalent in Bitsch. I've seen a few different ones requested on college auditions, but I can't remember ever seeing one on a pro audition.

-Jimi

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bitsch Number 2 is a killer etude and will turn heads played at tempo.

Have fun!

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I have done quite a number of auditions and never seen a Bitsch Etude as a requirement on an audition. It's usually the popular solos Haydn, Hummel, etc. Also the solo piece is not usually on the initial audition.

5. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Hi Edgar,

I'm sure that you have some audition experience and don't need to be told what normally appears on a list.

Please note that etudes aren't composed as performance pieces, but rather as opportunities to transfer fundamentals into technique.

The Bitsch etudes, like those by Charlier, pose many challanges for the player and are wonderful. Judging by the quality of your 5tet (excellent logo, btw), you've already crossed into this world and are doing well. Work on all of them and enjoy!

Best,
    EC