Popular method books and beginner range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, May 14, 2010.

1. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Just for my understanding:
    After about 3 months of MP buzzing and trumpeting within a 6th from the low C below the staff I wanted to start practicing from some method books and I have a few (Rubank beginner's, couple others similar in contents) I found that any beginner method book assumes a beginner can easily hit the 3rd space C in the stuff starting from the 2nd or 3rd page of the method book.
    I can reach the third space C if I play scale but too often it will collapse and no way I can hit it straight. In fact I can cleanly play second line G without struggling but anything higher requires some work.

Do method books assume correctly that most beginners are capable of playing easily that third space C from the scratch?

2. aucklander

aucklander New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I have the same problem when I start it off @ 18 years ago.. My teacher's method was get me join as many band as possible, playing the lower parts which induce me 'practicing'.. so the moral of my story is.. try practice morning /afternoon each day for 1/2 hr or so just on the methods book or on some piece of music that you are working on.. as your strength of the embouchure improve, so should you able to reach the notes higher easier..

Also, if you have a deep cup mouthpiece, it maybe harder to reach higher notes, but in a way its easier on the lower notes... if you have shallower cup of mouthpiece then you may hit the higher note easier..

As for methods book.. I recommend "Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet".. the one and only Trumpeter's Bible for all :)

3. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    i think i started with abracadabra for trumpet as my 1st book, i cant really remember how it started but im sure it wasent that high, do you have a teacher? if not get one! then he/she can help you much more than we can! with your range can you play lower than a C? the lower you can play the higher you can play, by playing lots of long low notes you relax more which is how you should play high notes, try playing lots of very low notes to relax with. what do you do as a warm up? what note do you start on? maybe try long notes from say an E going down to a C then try F going down, then G then A.
    and just make sure your not screwing the MP into your face! range takes time to build but the main way to build it is lip slurs and scales, you could try after your long notes do the same but do say 4 shorter notes on each instead of a long note and try and get them as even as you can. pick up a scale book and have a look at a few of them, G maj and C maj maybe and some arpegeios, try them both slured and tounged, dont worry if you cant get it to begin with just keep trying :)

erm I think that some people start lower than others, just some beginners can and some cant, if you cant all you can do is work on it :)

4. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I was a little surprised when I returned to trumpet by how many beginner books assumed a wider range than most beginners can hit quickly.

I'm not sure if this is a "boot camp" approach - get through the pain quickly and at the beginning, or wash out - or if other folks simply arrive better prepared than I did. Rowuk's certainly made clear that his students can cover the full staff quickly.

I went back to the Breeze-Easy books I'd used in 4th and 5th grades, which assume kids making a relatively slow progression up the staff. Most of what I want to play is relatively low anyway, so it made more sense for me.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi DiaxII
    Method book are basically exercises that get the body use to playing. Kinda like buying barbells at a sports shop.
    Here's the problem. Just like the barbell purchase, the books tell you WHAT to play but it generally doesn't tell you HOW to play.
    Look at Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment and see if you fall in to some of these categories.
    I would venture to say that your major problem in this situation is too much mouthpiece pressure. How do you combat mouthpiece pressure?
    Here's what I told someone recently and it really worked for them.
    Imagine your lips like a "meat pillow". When you set the mouthpiece on the pillow you don't want to crush and smash the meat pillow. Use your lip muscles to change the notes and not mouthpiece pressure.
    Sounds silly but it does work.

6. aucklander

aucklander New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    One of the old horn player taught me to use a string (pretty robust one) to hang the horn, and then try to play the horn without hand holding the horn and pressed against your lip to create 'forced' pressure.. This can be a exercise to strengthen the lip muscle.. ;-)