Position of music stand when seated to play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bizsmom, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    That's the stuff, Sir! :thumbsup:

The wooden cabinet stand sounds like a real classic keeper. I demand a picture when you're done. Things were just a bit more grand back then. No, they were just real grand. Aircraft should have propellers and a "band" should be a Big Band.

2. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    If you really want to stand out, spend a few dollars and raise your bell a la Dizzy!

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In my present health all unpacking is suspended (indefinitely). My cabinet music stand is now in a solid black box as I recall. It's just a guess, but I'm thinking it is sitting on the floor in the middle bedroom alongside trunks with layers of up to 5 boxes above it. One of the two doors into this room opens outward and there is a three high stack of medium U-Haul boxes blocking entrance, but some stacks in that room would be as much as six boxes high and somewhere among such is buried the box spring and mattress, bed frame and a chest and dresser that were meant for that room, albeit the bed is not assembled and stands against a wall.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Amen Arch!

Also, the comment earlier: "The lay of my music was at a 30 degree angle up from a horizontal plane that measured 18". Take note that quite a few conductor podium stands are set at this same approximate angle."

THis is the way to go.

To see how the pros handle it, turn on Lawrence Welch Saturday evening and watch his players. You can see stands designed to let musicians project. Also, his trumpets play standing, but think the bones are sitting. No one is in the stands.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I own a Getzen 900H. Hard to find now but I never had a problem sitting.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Indeed, this old house has 14 foot ceilings and almost non-existant closets. Yes, a six high stack of medium U-Haul boxes is 12 foot tall. Here in my office, 5 U-Haul wardrobe boxes are stacked against the back wall. There were 8. My wife and I have consolidated them, as some are now hung on regular closet racks, and most of these have been taken to Union Mission. Don't ask me why I still had a dozen 16 1/2" neck white dress shirts such as I haven't worn for more than 30 years. I'm much more comfortable with an 18" neck, but most are 17 1/2".

I did have a twin blade wooden propellor from an old Piper hanging in my office. In one of my yard sales in the advent of moving here I sold it. I do remember starting a few vintage aircraft by flipping the prop by hand. For many years I rode my bicycle to a private field and watched the planes come and go and when I was about 14 was asked to flip a prop the first time. 4 years later, and three days before I had my high school diploma in hand, I got my private pilot's license. I should have spent my money to have flown more rather than date the girl I married and divorced while I was USAF. I still might have had my first trumpet and my second, a Martin.

OK, sure I've had to cope with metal folding stands. (All through college). My biggest problem was forgetting them and having to buy another for class. I transported mine in an engineering drawing transport tube. So, when I moved here I had 6, and having given one away now have 5. My comment, with the rail adjusted 6 inches above your knee, what's the problem in blowing over the stand and seeing the conductor?