Position on upper lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Sep 15, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    should the top of the mouthpieces interior be over the top lip or on it? Doesit really matter? Should the top of the interior of the mouthpiece be over the top of the upper lip? or should it be on it? Does it really matter?

2. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    Different people are born with different embouchures
    so there are no absolute rules for mouthpiece placement for all players.

What is good for a player with one type of embouchure can be bad for a person with another type of embouchure.

Look at "Reinhardt's Embouchure Types" at the middle of the page at
    An Introduction to Donald S. Reinhardt's Pivot System
    to see the various embouchures and mouthpiece placements that people are born with.

I think my dad once posted about how he discovered his embouchure type and how it made a big difference in his playing.

Dean

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The general rule of thumb is that the RED belongs in the cup. Other than that, embouchure discussions are pretty much useless as there are many more factors than just the lips and only a decent teacher can really point you in the right direction.

4. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Is it true that playing higher up will give you greater endurance since the higher part of the lip is thicker?

5. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    No.

As I already pointed out with the Web link I provided,
    different people are born with different embouchure types.

What is good for one embouchure type can be bad for a different embouchure type.

Dean

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Endurance comes from practice. Get the magic of the "embouchure" out of your head. While it is true that a few players get lucky, the only method that gets you to the point where it might even be interesting to try something new, is plain old hard work.

I have found in over 30 years of teaching that the winning combination is the attitude of the player and a supportive environment to include the family and trumpet teacher. All attempts to intellectualize and perfect the approach to the trumpet FAIL without those two factors.

My lower lip is much thicker by the way. Power does not come from the lips, it comes from your breath support. The muscles in your face are finely tuned when you practice sensibly and a lot. They are not made strong with the same techniques that work with arms and legs. We must dose our movements in the face much more carefully. That involves fine motor skills.

7. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    Red in the cup is the convention, but I've seen other embouchures that compensate for individual challenges. My previous teacher grew up wearing braces, and developed a lifelong habit of wrapping his 7C with the upper lip and playing with the lower lip. Looks and sounds crazy, but he plays his silver French Selmer like an angel. -Ed

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have seen all sorts of stuff too. Most always venturing too far away limits something. Without a good teacher it is best to play it safe instead of looking for justification with the exceptions.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

Pay attention to rowuk. I echo what he's saying and I've been teaching trumpet for 30 years.

10. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    So long as you are comfy with it, I'm sure it's okay. Although have a teacher (if you can get one or already have one) verify, because he/she will give you a much more accurate response.