Possible audition

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DNK1377, Jul 27, 2009.

1. DNK1377

DNK1377 New Friend

Jul 27, 2009
    Hello all, I just recently joined this site... this is my first post. However over the past few months I found myself coming to this site more and more, so I finally joined. The reason I'm posting is that I am debating joining one of the military bands as soon as I finish my first degree. I would like to know what a good prepared piece to play for the audition. Also if any former military bands persons would like to give me some advice I would be very very gratefull. Thanks.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Military musicians have to have it all. They play EVERYTHING. When I auditioned, I played the first movement of the Haydn. They were more interested in my score with the Watkins-Farnum test though. This is a standardized testing method full of stuff that sound familiar, but you can't put your finger on it. It is all sight read and your score determines your qualifications.

Today I would probably play something like the Otto Ketting Intrade.

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    before all else, make sure you fit the BMI and physical atrributes. I've auditioned for several branches and they all would love to have me but "Tim, you got to get your weight under such and such..." I'm like "Sir, I came out of my momma at this weight!" I can run and gun with the best of them, and play better than most of them, but because I'm a bigger fellow, I can't join.... grrr...

For background info, for my height (6 ft even) they want me to weigh 250 lbs or less.... I currently weigh around 300 lbs. I've tried evry diet/excercise on the planet for teh last decade and have only gotten to around 268 lbs. Still a no-go...

But some ex-con, druggy, etc has no problem getting a simple waiver to go serve... Grr..

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    When I auditioned 39 yrs. ago it was the Watkins-Farnum test they had me play, they listen for tone, intonation, articulation, range, endurance , general sight reading skills such as rhythmic syncopation , dynamics etc., basically have your act together and be ready for anything.