Possible F.E. OLDs Super Recording buy?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Efig, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    I was very quick to jump on this ad on eBay since it was an Olds Super trumpet, for 350 dollars didn't even care about the valves condition looked ok. I went and bought it and after looking more closely, the trumpet has a "balanced action design" seller tells me the valve tubing is bent, to the left, I don't really see any of that. Bell Kranz just says Super Olds on it no "Super Recording" but I asked the seller and he said there is "perhaps a Recording stamped on the bell". I thought the leadpipe was replaced with a silver one at first but I saw pictures of Super Recordings and they all had the silver leadpipe too. All this drama led me to read up more on the Super Recordings.

So what do you guys think about this? I have yet to receive the horn.

2. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    It's an Olds Super it's not a Super Recording.

3. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    The middle valve looks offset to me in the one close-up photo and the valve cluster is more forward than any Super I've ever owned. I believe that's a Super Recording. Where is Mendez when you need him?

4. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    I'll get some more pictures, seller sent me a pic of the bell engraving if it helps.

5. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    So here are the valves and a close-up of the bell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phone wouldn't let me upload from storage.

6. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    A Super wouldn't have anything on the bell, it was all in the tone ring. Even though someone buffed/burnished the living daylights out of this one, I'm thinking SR. Did you get anything from top/bottom of the valve cluster ?

7. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    No, seller shipped the horn already so I should be getting it soon. I'll let you guys know when I receive it!

But that's what I'm thinking, it could be a Super Recording. The engraving is still different than the ones I see online, they just say recording on them straight down. I can barely make anything out from the photos. Probably isn't an engraving at all.

8. Bflatman

Bflatman Mezzo Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBzSDFH9pUg&t=681s

This shows the differences between the Super, the Recording, and the Super Recording.

The main giveaway difference between the Super and the others is the Super has all valves in a line and both the Super Recording and the Recording has the valves in an offset configuration,

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    The lack of the word "Recording" on the tone ring doesn't mean anything. Even late model SR's just said "Super" in that area.*. The late ones had bell engraving clearly spelling out "Super Recording", while the earliest ones had none - only the construction details are diagnostic. That one does sort of resemble a Super Recording, although the photos are miserable, but if I'm reading the serial number correctly, that horn was made long after the last SR.

*OK, I'm generalizing. I do have a Super Recording cornet, relatively early with a 7XXX serial number, with "Super Olds Recording" on the tone ring. That's just not the case with the very early SR trumpet I still have, or the late one I sold recently.

10. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    ChopsGone,

That might be the case, I forgot to mention the serial number is 427xx

According to the HornTrader, the Super Recordings have a gold brassish bell material opposed to the rey-o-loy on the Recording , I forgot to ask him/her if the trumpet is in raw brass or lacquered, it looked like old relacquering to me.

I just realized it now that there are different kinds of Super Recordings based on date of manufacture. The ones from the 1930s have a "dual leadpipe" and the later ones have normal reciever.