Post hernia playing questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aeguy010, Mar 7, 2010.

1. aeguy010

aeguy010 New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    ohio
    Hello, I had a umbilical hernia repair 12-9-09, I am pain free finally but now I am having trouble using my diaphragm when going for higher notes ( c above staph) I am using my chops too much and not pushing the volume of air I should be. those that have gone through this kind of surgery what advise can you give?

John

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You may find some past threads on this topic. I seem to remember this coming up a couple times here or at TH.

It sounds like aerobic deconditioning. This should improve as you get back in shape. Did your surgeon gave you advice about when to start playing again and what to expect?

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I too once had a hernia although it was inguinal not umbilical, I've not had problems but I wasn't playing at the time. I've since gone back to the trumpet and don't really notice any problems. If you are in any pain or discomfort it migh be worth a quick chat with the quack.

If not I suppose it might just be a difference in your new "body shape" without the Hernia. I'm not a Doctor but they told me had probably carried mine for much of my life before it became visible in my late twenties so things down there felt quite different when I had the op (I looked like the man from devizes by the end if you don't know the limerick then let me know , I'll PM it to you.)

I think trumpetMD is right it sounds like a slight conditioning problem but my instinct would be to check it out, possibly both with a doc and a teacher. It could be a bad habit from trying to unconciously do things different to protect your abdomen or now not having to protect it. The mind is a funny thing like that.

Keep at it and Good Luck

Cheers

Andrew

PS someone on here has had nine hernias but I can't remember who

4. aeguy010

aeguy010 New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    ohio
    I searched and read the other posts on this. didn't specifically cover my questions, yes doc said 6-8 weeks so I am well past that. no pain when I play,

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I had an umbilical hernia repaired [put in the mesh] and the dr. told me to wait until after my post-op check up. I had my check up two weeks after the surgery and he said I could start practicing low long tones for about 5 - 10 minutes at a time. I started playing full time a week or 10 days after my post-op check up with no ill effects. each person is different, I had my Drs. blessing so listen to yours.

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I had a surgery similar to a hernia operation. I couldn't even blow air (without the trumpet!) without pain for maybe three weeks, then another couple weeks until I could actually play. In fact, I played golf before I could play the trumpet. I was pretty weak in the area of the surgery for a while even after the pain was gone.

As for how it's affecting your chops, you could just be compensating for being out of shape from the post surgery layoff. I'm not an advocate of super tight abs when you play, but those muscles do work some and if they haven't fully recovered, I wouldn't be surprised if your wind supply is lacking. As long as your doctor says you're healing correctly, I would expect your trumpet playing to keep getting better and stronger.

7. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    You guys are old :-P just kidding, ill get there in like 30 yrs I guess...

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You don't have to old to be injured or sick. All my stuff happened in my 20's...probably not much older than you.

9. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    well, here is the deal. First, let me preface my comment by saying I just had my 9th umbilical hernia repair on 12/17/09. So, I know a little about the recovery process.

It is important to realize that each repair is different. It also depends on whether you had an open or lapriscopic repair.

An open repair will recover much quicker than a lapriscopic. Although from a wound/incision standpoint it looks much worse, I think my last one I had 48 staples. It actually recovers quicker. Inside of a month you would probably be ready to play.

Lapriscopic (my last one) is much, much different. In a lapriscopic procedure, they blow your belly up with air (imagine a puffer fish) so that they have room to work in there. So, the affect that has on your abdominal muscles is huge. It would be like doing 1,000 push ups in row and the frist one being the first one you had ever done. It shreds your abdomnial muscles. That takes a long time to recover. My surgeon said it takes about 1 month to get back to 70%, and then another 5 to get the remaining 30%. So, even though you may feel good/great doing certain things on a day to day basis. Something that directly ingages your diaphram is going to be uncomfortable at best.

All that being said, if it hurts it hurts for a reason. Stop trying to bow out high C's, your not ready. The last thing you want to do is reoccur, and have to have another surgery because each one gets harder and harder.

ALWAYS wear your binder when playing.

And finally, to the young man who called us old. I was 28 when I had my first repair, 36 now. Then again, that probably is old to you.

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    That's why the Army loves 18 year olds. They think they are immortal!