Post holiday trumpet blues...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by music matters, Jul 22, 2004.

1. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Well I have just finished a wonderful touring holiday of the West Highlands and Highlands of Scotland and prior to that I moved house so I played my trumpet for the first time yesterday in 3 weeks and boy did I suck!!

I suppose many of you are in the same boat after returning from holiday. It's frustrating isn't it?! Back to the drawing board!

......by the way happy holidays everyone!

MM

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi Graham,

Glad you're enjoying your hols. I suck and I've been practising solidly!!

Have you had a chance to look at any flugels yet? Not missing anything here except for stifling heat...I'll catch you in Sept, off to Aussie in 2 weeks for a month.

CU then.

Regards,

Trevor

3. music matters

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Trevor - great to hear from you. I am doing my Jazz course soon so am trying to get back in some sort of shape for that. I thought I would try out some flugels after that because hopefully I will be playing OK by then! I am looking forward to trying them out but especially going to the Eclipse factory to try the new Eclipse Flugel out. I fancy that Savannah finish and it sounds as if they play just like I want. Not sure about the Amado keys - they seemed strange when I borrowed your Flugel - I guess I am just not used to them - what is the advantage of them over trad water keys?

I have just finished playing today and my endurance is terrible - I am having to play for half and hour, take a BIG break and then I can do another half an hour. Ho hum, I am sure it should come back soon!

Now I need to persuade my brother to have a night out at Ronnie Scotts...! (best jazz club I have ever been to).

Have a great time in Aus and let me know how that Taylor Cornet plays!

Cheers
    Graham.

4. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    I hope you enjoyed yourself...I did a similar thing two years ago after attending my mate's 40th wedding anniversary in Glenrothes. My partner and I travelled on to John O' Groats then meandered down the West Coast back to Glasgow. Did you manage to take in Applecross? Probably the best meal I have ever experienced in a pub was eaten at the Applecross Inn http://www.applecross.uk.com/menu.htm .....oh and the weather was absolutely perfect. We were very lucky indeed. :lol:

5. music matters

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Alan,

No I didn't quite make Apple cross but I will check it out next year! Found a good pub in Invararay (sp?) called the George - low ceilings, great food, great beer and it served Canadian Club Whiskey which keeps my wife happy!

We drove to Oban - Fort William - Inverness - Edinburgh and stopped off in Durham on our way back to London so didn't get as far North as you. Scenery was fantastic though and great roads to drive on! Definitely want to do it again.

Cheers
    MM