Post Horn (RIFLE!?!?)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jul 9, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey folks

It has been a while since I've posted due to the fact that I have been away on military training.

OK, so our band is playing the post horn gallop on the 28th in Ottawa at the new War Museum. Myself and one other will be playing the post horn parts. I have no experience playing on these but our director (trumpet player) suggested to play it as if we were buzzing on our mouthpieces.

The funny thing is that at some point in the piece one of us will pick up a rifle stick a mouthpiece in it and play it :D

Can anyone give any advice on how to properly play one of these (or how to play a rifle for that matter) ????

Should be rather humourous
    Cheers
    Eric Sproul

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Post horn - it's just a short, straight, bugle (if you are using the ones that the Post Horn Gallop was written for). Play it the same as you would a piccolo without valves.
    The same will go for the rifle (yes, this is quite a common addition to the cadenza).
    I have done this piece a few times and we have used rifles, hosepipes, a radiator, a chair (it had metal piping holding it together) and have even seen a toilet being used - all for the responses it will get from the audience :lol:

I once saw someone try to play this piece seriously - it doesn't work - treat it as the joke that it is, have fun with it and just make sure you can double-tongue better than your oppnent, ready for that all important cadenza battle at the end :D

3. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Eric, a little off topic but what information can you provide about this years Fortissimo? Who else will be playing, and do you play other places or just on the Hill?

Yes, I normally try to make it up to Ottawa for it!

Fortissimo is multiple military bands performing on Parliament Hill in Ottawa. Held this year on August 19-20/05

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Eric, perhaps you could contact this gentleman. He seems to know how to play a rifle! This showed up on CBC a couple of years ago.

Quote:

Edmonton musician plays rifle, garden hose Last Updated 2003-01-22 ArtsCanada EDMONTON - A member of the Royal Canadian Artillery Band says he enjoys making music with his rifle, but is really interested in playing a grenade launcher. Sgt. Andre Lessard, a member of the Edmonton-based band, uses a Second World War rifle as an instrument, says a report in the Edmonton Sun. Lessard says the Lee Enfield Mark IV, with a trumpet mouthpiece in the top of the barrel, can produce seven or eight notes. He's welded open the bolt action so the rifle doesn't have to be registered as a working firearm. He's also tried playing the C-1 rifle and a garden hose with a funnel in it, said the Sun. But Lessard says he's interested in trying to play a grenade launcher, which he insists is "like a tuba." When he's feeling conventional, Lessard plays the trumpet, piano, guitar and flute.For more arts news, listen to The Arts Report weekdays at 7:12 a.m., 8:12 a.m. and 5:55 p.m. on CBC Radio Two.

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I really don't know much about it, except I do know that we sent an invite to the Parc and Dare Brass band from Whales. You may have seen them at the Nova Scotia International Tattoo? They might show up. Also I heard rumour that the Stadacona Band from Halifax is coming.

I believe the dates are the 19th and 20th of August at 7pm.

Hope you can make it. Should be pretty cool.
    (They never tell us anything)
    Eric :dontknow:

6. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    War Museum

Our concert is on the 28th of July at the new War Museum and it is at 630 and is free for anyone who may be in the area and is interested

Ciao
    Eric

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    ok so it is on the 19th and 20th of Aug and so far I hear the Naden band and the Central Band is playing with us

That's all I got so far

Eric